Author Topic: A adware is attacking my computer (W32: Adware-gen)  (Read 10456 times)

Cheetor

A adware is attacking my computer (W32: Adware-gen)
« on: August 25, 2005, 08:16:59 AM »
Hello! I am a new member on the avast! forum. I have a problem: a adware is attacking my computer (W32: Adware-gen). Avast! antivirus detects it and is moving it to virus chest, but for some reason it keeps attacking. I suspect that my anti-spyware progam is infected. Did Alwil software launched a avast! anti-spyware?

Topic moved by Tech (moderator)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 03:29:38 PM by Tech »

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: Wanna kill some bugs ? They are trying to infiltrate your PC :)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 09:21:15 AM »

Cheetor I think you would have better luck if you post this subject in "viruses and worms" or "avast! 4.x

Home/Pro" in the mean time try a google search on (W32: Adware-gen) there are a  number of

results that may help
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: A adware is attacking my computer (W32: Adware-gen)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 06:40:30 PM »
- What OS are you using? is it up to date?
- What avast! version and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 0436-4 (see about avast!)
- What was the filename, where was it found
  example (C:\windows\system32\infected-filename.xxx)?
- What actions have you taken to try and resolve the problem?
- What browser are you using?
- What anti-spyware are you using?

Can you explain further, "but for some reason it keeps attacking. ?"

avast! is primarily an anti-virus program but it does detect some adware and spyware.
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
4. Download HijackThis.zip - HiJackThis Tutorial

I also suggest you read this thread Security Tips & Tricks - DropMyRights
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Ricky2005

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 09:20:27 PM »
they would be a other program thats creating the program but do what daivdr said and you just be ok

Cheetor

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 06:08:51 AM »
My OS is up to date. And when I said that the virus keeps attacking I wanted to say that I moved the virus into the Virus Chest. Into the virus chest I have about 35 copies of the infected file. and alarms from avast! antivirus keep appearing about the same virus that I moved into virus chest exactly when my Ad-aware anti-spyware scans. This could be a false alarm or a conflict between avast! antivirus and Ad-aware?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 06:13:03 AM by Cheetor »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 01:43:48 PM »
This could be a false alarm or a conflict between avast! antivirus and Ad-aware?
Most probably it's not a false alarm.
It's not a conflict either.
When Ad-aware tryed to get rid from the infection, avast! resident detected the file is being read.

Sometimes, if you find a virus keeps coming back after you delete it, disabling System Restore and rebooting could solve.
Other good things will be booting in Safe Mode (press F8 while booting) and running avast! from there.
Other, it's the boot time scanning.
Finally, use other antispywares (SpyBot, ewido, etc.) to scan your system.
The best things in life are free.

Nicolas

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 02:09:08 PM »
As DavidR and Tech have said, also use Spybot Search & Destroy. This is not just an alternative, but a quite different program that may be capable to remove the generator file itself and the associated registry keys.
Hijackthis is a program that shows what is running and may run on your computer. It is also capable to kill a malicious process effectively.

I do not know of any conflict between Avast AV and Ad-aware. In this case it seems that Ad-Aware activates the hidden generator file, making it possible for Avast to detect the "payload".
The more sophisticated viruses cannot be detected anymore by a so-called signature string, as long as they are highly compressed and encrypted. Some viruses have no fixed appearance at all, sothat they must be activated somehow to become detectable.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 02:36:58 PM »
You would be advised to temporarily Pause the Standard Shield when you want to do a scan with your other anti-adware/spyware. This will not only stop any possible conflict but speed the AdAware scan because as adaware scans files avast! will first scan the file before adaware can access the file.

The fact that it is the same virus name indicates reinfection due to the same vulnerability/browsing habits/visiting the same sites, etc.

I asked a number of questions, not for my benefit but yours, all you have answered is your OS is up to date not even what it is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Cheetor

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 06:36:06 AM »
Thanks for the advices boys but i just reinstaled Windows. Installing SpyBot is a good idea. Nicolas, is that your cat in your picture?