Author Topic: Downloading sites  (Read 2813 times)

joburg

Downloading sites
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:35:50 PM »
When downloading a complete site using a prog such as HHTrack what are the security risks connected to that? I'm now thinking of bugs, etc. Will it bypass Avast?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Downloading sites
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:39:21 PM »
Websites can contain malicious code.
If you have setup Avast correctly and the detection string(s) is in the vps, Avast will detect them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 01:07:54 AM »
When downloading a complete site using a prog such as HHTrack what are the security risks connected to that? I'm now thinking of bugs, etc. Will it bypass Avast?
I see no reason to be affraid, it won't download anything different that other applications while downloading.
Set the avast! sensitivity to HIGH.
Do you use any antispyware and script blocker?
The best things in life are free.

Ricky2005

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 01:19:17 PM »
sometimes the site is a virus and avast doesn't pick it up thats becuse it sets cookies as vriuses  avast will pick it up but not in the websheild part.

joburg

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 01:37:43 PM »
Thanks folks, from that I deduct that when I d/l a site I copy only what I can see on my monitor, that is after all filtering done, not the full site with all the hidden ‘nasties’ that it may include? I haven’t used HHTrack before but contemplating it (mostly sites with instructions/tips/pics for Photoshop usage) because the ‘Save as’ (mht) function of IE not always successful.
Avast! on high since day one and I’ve installed the full catastrophe of other blockers, filters, blasters, guards, notifiers, loggers, updaters, checkers, cleanuppers, deleters, removers, destroyers, lockers, backuppers, revertors, anti-*, etc. I possibly can, just short of progs clashing or bootup invalidated. Oh yes, Murphy’s Law still applicable and activated.
I even feel extremely naked when I switch on my TV set and no familiar Avast! blue 3 spinning, will have to make a sticker

Ricky, that means that if the site is copied to my HDD it will be able to generate that cookie each time I open this static site from my HDD? Deleting cookies fast and furious will not help?