Author Topic: "avastsvc.exe" using 100% cpu  (Read 20148 times)

REDACTED

Re: "avastsvc.exe" using 100% cpu
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 05:17:19 PM »
Here's something else I've noticed with the high AvastSvc.exe cpu usage.  it will do it even when I have my router turned off and not connected to the Internet and with absolutely nothing else running on my computer.  It will still jump to 99% cpu usage and hang there for up to a minute and then suddenly drop to nothing.  Since Avast Svc.exe is what allows real time monitoring of your Internet traffic......how can it jump up to that high usage when there's nothing to monitor? 

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
I am having the same problem when I'm using Incredimail. If Incredimail is started, cpu usage is 100%, with AvastSvc.exe in top of the list. If I close Incredimail (completely, not only main window), cpu usage drops to normal. This problem appeared after updating to the last version of Avast: 2015.10.0.2028. I'm using it on a PC with Win XP x64 SP3.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 10:18:08 PM »
Ro Eraser, what version of avast are you running?  I'm using the Internet Security version and I uninstalled it and loaded the free version, and so far I don't see anymore high cpu usage with avastSvc.exe.  I'm going to try the free version for a couple of days and then try reloading Internet Security again and see if the problem comes back.  If it goes back to high cpu usage not sure what that means..........do I have a problem with my system that is incompatible with the upgraded version and not with the free version?........or does avast have an issue with their upgraded paid for versions?   We're both using XP but I've seen other users on this forum that are have similar problems using windows 7 

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
It's still bad with the free version. I haven't tried any other version.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 04:40:01 PM »
Since uninstalling the Internet Security version of avast and loading the free version I haven't had any issues with avastSvc.exe going to 100% and locking up my system.  I've submitted a trouble ticket with customer support a week ago with two additional updates to the ticket on what I've been doing and the results.  I have yet to have one response from them.  Therefore I've cancelled my paid for version and will stick with the free version.  I have 10 year old 32 bit Dell with a Intel Pentium 4 CPU with 2GB ram and running XP pro with SP3.   I spoke with a customer service rep (not technical support) about the problem and they said that the firewall on the Internet Security version was causing the freezes and lockups.  I tried disabling the firewall but it made no difference.  Hopefully avast technical support personnel will find a fix for this problem.   I would suggest that all users having this issue keep submitting trouble tickets with technical support.  If they get hounded often enough someone is bound to take notice.   

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
Giraffe, I received this reply from the avast technical support team today.  Thought I would pass it along for you to try if you haven't already:

Hello,

we apologize for technical difficulties with our software.

To repair your avast! Antivirus installation, please follow the steps below:

go to Start > Control Panel > Uninstall or Change a Program ( Programs and features ) > Select Avast Installation > Change -> Repair

This should fix the issue, if not please do not hesitate to contact me back.

If after running the repair feature and you're still having problems I would uninstall it and reload it if you haven't already tried it.  If you still are having problems I would definitely submit a trouble ticket to technical support.  They need to know that users are having difficulty with their products.   

Good luck

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 12:08:50 AM »
My Avast Free 2015 running on an HP Pavilion a730n under XPhome SP3 is just nailing the snot outta I/O reads ALL THE TIME when I look at Task Manager.  AvastSvc.exe is showing 125,487,000+ and climbing all the time.  CPU running between about 65% and 100% constantly.  Reboot does not help.   Gotta get this fixed as it slows down the machine hugely.

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »
Have the same problem: AvastSvc.exe loads the system at 5 to 40 %. Not that much, far from 100 % anyway, but it does so 24/7 (has system tray icon animated all the time).
Tried to repair as written in reply #20. No effect.

Windows XP Pro SP3
Firefox 33.1
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:34:50 AM by KabirK »

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 06:11:01 PM »
Thanks runningwolf but, like KabirK, it has no effect.
Gone back to 2014 for now - and had to turn off notifications for Updates to programme as the tray icon was showing a fault. I'll update when I want to!
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall