Author Topic: Floppy I/O device error after Avast installed  (Read 10959 times)

Tony3286

Floppy I/O device error after Avast installed
« on: October 28, 2003, 03:05:59 PM »
I had the strangest problem after I installed Avast Free version. If I try an access a Floppy, I get "can't access A:\  drive,  I/O device error. I click on the error message, try again and it works - sometimes after the clicking on the error message the system does a complete reboot. I have removed the floppy driver reinstalled and then then it  works, BUT reboot again and the same thing occurs - I changed the floppy drive  hardware with the same results. Could Avast be causing a conflict on bootup or is it just a coincidence?
I am running a Sony Viao RX850 running Window XP.I have turned off residen programs temp. AFTER reboot with same results
                Tony
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 03:43:16 PM by Tony3286 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Floppy I/O device error after Avast installed
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 03:20:41 PM »
You can try to disable avast temporarily (either its Standard Shield provider, or by removing avast from startup copletely, e.g. by renaming the avast installation folder) and restart - and see if it helps.

Could you post some more details about your system? What OS do you use, what hardware configuration do you have?

Tony3286

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 03:33:15 PM »
 I have a Sony Vaio running Windows XP model RX850
I have tried  to stop Avast's resident programs - temporarily - Maybe I should try to disable permanently then reboot to see if I have the same problem
Tony

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 03:45:03 PM »
I understand that you have disabled the whole resident protection and it didn't help, right?
However, I suppose it may be for the current Windows session only.
If you terminate only the Standard Shield provider - you will be asked if you want to persist the changes. If you select yes and reboot, the provider should not be started. Now, it would be nice to know if your floppy can be accessed.

Tony3286

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 04:13:48 PM »
I had disabled resident programs Temp, so I'll try,(when In get home from work) to stop it permanently and see if that works - thanks so much for the advice! I wonder also if I go into the bios and stop the "A" drive from being accessed on bootup, if that would also correct it - Maybe Avast is accessing it then and if I stop it at bootup, I'll be OK. I love Avast and don't want to stop using it for just a Floppy problem
Tony

Tony3286

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 12:31:25 AM »
  Well , I stopped (Not temporarily) the Standard Shield, rebooted and the same thing occurs when I try and read a floppy -  I Get the message Can't access A:\   -   I/O device error. Yet if I try it a second time it reads the Floppy. Thank God the the automatic reboots after I just clicked "OK" for the error message have stopped since I installed a new Floppy AND I guess this shows Avast is not to blame - another welcome note!! I really think Avast is a GREAT Antivirus program and was relieved that it seems its just a coincidence that the floppy started this after Avast was installed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 12:21:12 PM »
... thing occurs when I try and read a floppy -  I Get the message Can't access A:\   -   I/O device error. Yet if I try it a second time it reads the Floppy.... avast is a GREAT Antivirus program and was relieved that it seems its just a coincidence that the floppy started this after avast was installed.

Igor, I have the same problem of Tony... I could not imagine it was related to avast! so I did not report it before... I suppose just from version 4.1.280 but I'm not sure... The floppy could only be read at the second time if you previous use a file (access, read, write, etc.) and then close the file and change the floppy to another...

The user can use Windows Explorer with no error but with MS Word or Excell, for instance, changing the floppy brings a I/O error! Of course, the previous file opened was closed before changing the floppy  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Tony3286

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 02:31:43 PM »
 Well at least I know I'm not going crazy! Someone else is reporting  the same error. What I don't understand is , IF Avast IS causing the problem, why would it still occur after  the Standard Shield is stopped, NOT paused and the system is rebooted? Is there possibily another area Avast gets to that causes the conflict? And come to think of it, it seems the problem started withone of the last 2 updates?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 08:42:26 PM »
Well at least I know I'm not going crazy! Someone else is reporting  the same error. What I don't understand is , IF Avast IS causing the problem, why would it still occur after  the Standard Shield is stopped, NOT paused and the system is rebooted? Is there possibily another area Avast gets to that causes the conflict? And come to think of it, it seems the problem started withone of the last 2 updates?

I'll do some tests and post the results...
I could not say when the problem begins... But I suppose it's a little far behind the last two updates...  :-\

Tony3286

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 10:51:42 PM »
   Really appreciate that!! Its been driving me crazy!
                             Thanks !!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 11:43:28 AM »
Igor, I have the same problem of Tony... I could not imagine it was related to avast! so I did not report it before... I suppose just from version 4.1.280 but I'm not sure... The floppy could only be read at the second time if you previous use a file (access, read, write, etc.) and then close the file and change the floppy to another...

The user can use Windows Explorer with no error but with MS Word or Excell, for instance, changing the floppy brings a I/O error! Of course, the previous file opened was closed before changing the floppy  :'(

I get some error messages (translated into 'poor' English):
An error has occurred.
The disk is not recognized. Maybe is not formatted.

This happens when I open a file in the floppy, close it, and then disable the avast! residents and try to open another one...  :-\

I do not reach a solution neither a conclusion about this behavior. Maybe it's not related with avast! The second time I try to see the floppy contents, everything goes fine...

Tony3286

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 04:42:35 PM »
As much as its hard for me to say it, but it was Avast causing the I/O device errors. Simply by stopping the resident shield (permanently) was not a good test. I totally removed Avast, rebooted and no problem now with the floppy. Recently I also was having stability probelms with XP Home, which I never had before. I would get reboots just starting certain programs. I had removed Norton Antivirus, previously and even used their Symclean and Norton antivirus remover, so I would have a clean install of Avast, but still had problems. I hope in the future this problem is corrected because I found Avast a fantastic antivirus program

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 04:44:15 PM »
You've had random reboots?

Then you must have some recent files in your \windows\minidump directory. Please send a coupld of those to my e-mail address.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 02:19:01 AM »
You've had random reboots?

Then you must have some recent files in your \windows\minidump directory. Please send a coupld of those to my e-mail address.

Thanks
Vlk

I don't have this folder in my XP system  :'(