Author Topic: Silent Mode  (Read 2597 times)

grannymoore

Silent Mode
« on: August 26, 2005, 10:09:24 PM »
I'm not sure how to handle "Silent Mode".  I don't seem to be able to find an explanation as to what "With general answer Yes (OK)" or "With general answer No (Cancel)" means.  Exactly what action am I Oking or Cancelling?  I'd like to get rid of constantly having to tell it to put something in the chest but I'm not sure about the settings to do that so the program will automatically handle things the proper way.

On my wish list is definitely better help definitions.  It is difficult to make intelligent decisions without the background information upon which to base them.  :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Silent Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 10:37:21 PM »
Extract from avast! help file:
Resident Protection: Standard Shield - Advanced

Show detailed info on performed action. If you set this option, the resident protection will inform you about the files currently being tested. The information will be displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen, right above the system tray.
"Silent" mode. It is useful mainly for server operating systems. This option ensures that the resident protection will not require any user interaction and will not display any windows. For this reason, it is not recommended to set "choose action" on the Virus page in silent mode, because the interactive action choice requires user interaction of course. It is better to preset some particular action, such as deleting the file or moving it to Chest.
With answer Yes (OK). All avast! questions that would be displayed on the screen under common circumstances, will be replied Yes. If the selected action is choose action after all, pressing the OK button will be simulated.
With answer No (Cancel). All avast! questions that would be displayed on the screen under common circumstances, will be replied No. If the selected action is choose action after all, pressing the Delete button will be simulated (i.e. the infected file will be deleted).
List of excluded areas. Areas listed here will not be searched or scanned. We recommend you to keep the preset areas in the list. You can modify the list using the buttons Add and Remove.

Click on Standard Shield and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No.

Personally I don't use silent mode, because I want to know what is going on with my system. If someone is getting so many warnings of virus infection, infected emails, etc. that they become intrusive, then it is time to review their security practice - filter emails at source, delete from server rather than download them, sites they visit, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security