Author Topic: New User. Got A Couple Of Questions.  (Read 3754 times)

Inernetjunky

New User. Got A Couple Of Questions.
« on: February 17, 2005, 09:07:55 PM »
Hello.  I just installed the trial version of avast pro last night.  So far, I think it's a very nice antivirus program. 

I ran the Eicar test and the Eicar e-mail test today.  I was very impressed with the way avast handled the Eicar e-mail test.  When I ran the regular Eicar test, avast caught the eicar.com file.  There was no alert when I clicked on the eicar.com.txt button and the two eicar zip buttons.  I had to open the zip files before avast alerted me.  Is this the way avast works, or can I configure avast to alert as soon as I click on the eicar zip buttons?  And what about not being alerted when clicking on the eicar.com.txt button?

lee16

Re: New User. Got A Couple Of Questions.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 10:03:12 PM »
Is this the way avast works, or can I configure avast to alert as soon as I click on the eicar zip buttons?  And what about not being alerted when clicking on the eicar.com.txt button?

see if Setting settings like shown below helps: (for standard shield)

--lee
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 10:11:32 PM by lee16 »

Fraggie

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 12:12:21 AM »
Hi, I've have the same 'prob'
when I download the com file, avast detects it like its nothing
but when i download the *.txt *.zip files, it doesn't even scan them when they are done downloading

and yes, my protection is high (aka 'scan all the file', like on the picture)
so what should I do about it?

spec: XP pro SP2, browser Opera 8.02 (or IE6.xx same thing), latest avast with latest module

gtz

timcan

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 01:06:12 AM »
Hi, I've have the same 'prob'
when I download the com file, avast detects it like its nothing
but when i download the *.txt *.zip files, it doesn't even scan them when they are done downloading

and yes, my protection is high (aka 'scan all the file', like on the picture)
so what should I do about it?

spec: XP pro SP2, browser Opera 8.02 (or IE6.xx same thing), latest avast with latest module
Hello, I just tried those tests and passed with no problem.Avast home stopped them dead in thier tracks.Web shield is the provider that stopped them so maybe check your settings on this provider.I was using firefox for this test.

gtz
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 02:02:49 AM by igor »

Jarmo P

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 09:36:56 AM »
There was no alert when I clicked on the eicar.com.txt button and the two eicar zip buttons.

Your Web Shield is not working.
If running win9x system, check from this forum how to manually set your browser to be proxied by a webshield.

Fraggie

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 11:36:22 AM »
Your Web Shield is not working.
True, it was disabled cause it said it had some probs with my firewall (zonealarm free)
when I enabled it again, it detects the 'virus'

thx for the info