Author Topic: Com.avast.daemon uses up all my CPU power.  (Read 30753 times)

REDACTED

Com.avast.daemon uses up all my CPU power.
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »
Hi there,

Sometimes when I'm using Finder the com.avast.daemond process spikes up to almost 100% CPU usage. Is there something i can do to avoid this happening? If you need more information I'll be happy to provide it, but I might need some inputs on how to provide it though.

Thanks alot!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 12:01:40 AM by lappi_wg »

REDACTED

Re: Com.avast.daemon uses up all my CPU power.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:18:58 PM »
Same problem.

On MacBook Pro Retina SSD with Filevault....
OS X 10.9.5

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
Same problem here with %CPU running close to 100% for long periods of time.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »
Same problem here with %CPU running close to 100% for long periods of time.

I was going to uninstall Avast and move to Sophos Antivirus for Mac when I thought that I would investigate a little bit further and determined that %CPU was the highest when I was navigating files on an external 4.0 TB drive.

To fix this and reduce %CPU from 99.0% to 0.1% I disabled File System Shield, i.e. Preferences > Shields > File System Shield -> Disable.

Interestingly, when I added the volume of my external hard drive HITACHI as an excluded path there was no difference in the %CPU, i.e. Preferences > Shields > File System Shield -> Settings -> + -> /Volumes/HITACHI.

The %CPU was only reduced to 0.1% by completely disabling the File System Shield which of course has a major drawback in not being able to successfully use this shield.

This is now the second time I have posted this kind of problem using Avast Mac Security so I will probably move to Sophos after I update to Yosemite as it looks like Avast is not as stable running on the Mac as it is on the PC.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:40:25 PM by jwjb »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 02:46:32 AM »
I have the same problem as the original poster. Close to 100% CPU for the daemon esp. whilst using Finder to do trivial stuff.

Starter yesterday morning.  I've been running it for months with no prior issues.

None of my external drives (incl. a Time Capsule) were connected when it happened.

13" Macbook Pro Retina 3GHZ Intel Core i7
OS X 10.9.5
No Filevault.
All Avast shields enabled with default settings.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:54:11 PM »
Moving from incorrect forum, to keep folks in the loop: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=162613.0

I am having the same problem.

The process consuming CPU is:  com.avast.daemon
It spawns 26 threads and holds the CPU every time i change directories in finder takes the CPU up to 95%
This is in OSX Mavericks on a MacBookPro5,3
My disk is an SSD had  never have these issues before.  This started happening recently, not sure if it was after the latest update to Avast.
Disabling file shield corrects the issue (but then I have no file shield :P)

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
Same problem here on 10.9.5. 
This behavior started a fews days ago. Every time I want to use the finder the machine starts slowing down, I cannot even use the finder anymore.
The culprit is the avast daemon. I finally managed to disable file agent and it's now fine again.
This is really a show stopper !

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »
Hello guys,

we hear you. Could anyone of you try to reproduce the issue and then (while the CPU is eaten), try to create a support package and provide it to us for analyzes?

You can find in the main GUI app, menu Help >> Avast Technical Support >> Generate Support Package.

Thanks,
Martin

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:02:59 PM »
Hi,
I just tried but it seems I cannot activate the filesystem agent. I'm getting an error : "OSStatus erreur -60007"
I managed to get around it last time by quitting avast (GUI) and starting it again but this time I have no luck.
Any hint on how to get around this error ?
Thanks

Update: I managed to restart filesystem agent by launching the Avast program from the Application folder rather than from the menu bar on the desktop ... I'm waiting for the problem to re-appear and I'll sent the support package (where should I send it ?).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:20:16 PM by charlus »

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »
I just tried but it seems I cannot activate the filesystem agent. I'm getting an error : "OSStatus erreur -60007"

We are aware of this issue and I am working on a fix. The workaround is to start GUI from elsewhere (e.g. Finder) and not from the helper.

The issue is that after a program update and restart of the helper program (responsible for the icon on top of the screen and pop-ups) in some OS X versions, the helper process is running in a wrong context (and it also spreads to any child process started from it). The issue persists until you log out/log in. If you then start the main GUI from it and it requires an elevation to admin rights (e.g. to change shield settings), it shall fail.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 05:17:02 PM »
Hello guys,

we hear you. Could anyone of you try to reproduce the issue and then (while the CPU is eaten), try to create a support package and provide it to us for analyzes?

You can find in the main GUI app, menu Help >> Avast Technical Support >> Generate Support Package.

Thanks,
Martin

I was just experiencing this issue, and sent you the support package by private message.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:44:12 AM by Robin Claassen »

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
Is this still an issue?  We're evaluating a few Mac AV applications and this could sway the decision.  Thanks!

-joe

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
Is this still an issue?  We're evaluating a few Mac AV applications and this could sway the decision.  Thanks!

-joe

If you are evaluating maybe you should try it yourself in one machine, it's free. There is a difference between a widespread issue and some people having a issue, the later being a more correct representation of this problem, as you can see only a handful of people WERE talking about it, personally I'm not currently experiencing any of the said issues.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 12:29:08 AM »
This has been happening to me for over a month now. I am using 10.9.5 with FileVault on for my Macbook Pro.
I have to turn the file shield off in order to use my computer properly.
Please don't assume this isn't widespread. I notice over 1800 people have viewed this thread. My experience with users is that only a very small percentage have any idea that their computer is slowing down due to a problem- they just accept the spinning beach ball as normal. And of those that feel the problem, an even smaller percentage would ever dare run Activity Monitor to check on what is using up their CPU.
I am turning file shields back on and will send a support package.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 03:20:09 PM »
Please don't assume this isn't widespread. I notice over 1800 people have viewed this thread. My experience with users is that only a very small percentage have any idea that their computer is slowing down due to a problem-

And my experience with users is that the majority assume that every problem they have is widespread, and that they usually blame the wrong piece of software.