Author Topic: WebShield issues (again)  (Read 12665 times)

REDACTED

WebShield issues (again)
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:06:06 AM »
Hi,
I used to suffer from the infamous webshield issue (see here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143211.0). I used to get mangled jpegs, not full pages, stuttering video. Only editing the Webshield.ini (UseStreamFilter=0) solved that.
Now I have updated Avast program to 2015.10.0.2208 and Firefox to 33.1 and the problems reappear. tried switching off HTTPS scanning, which did not help. Removed my webshield.ini tweak mentioned above which helped most, but still not working right.
Only turning off the shields "solves" the issues.
Any possible advice again this time, pls?
Many thanks in advance!
K.
P.S. Though I appreciate your hard work very much, problems like these make me never want to pay for any antivirus software. Too many problems to be paying for.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: WebShield issues (again)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.
It is a known issue with the latest webshield that only avast can solve.
Let's hope the fix it soon.

You say turning off the shields.
You do know you can only turn off the webshield?

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
Hi,
this does not seem like any known issue to me. With StreamFilter disabled (what you refer to as "webshield.ini tweak") you are using the same code as on Windows XP (proxy mode). All recent problems (including the fixed one with HTTPS and Firefox) are related to the modern webshield running on Win7 and 8.

Could you please specify your OS and possibly the problem in more detail? Perhaps some steps that would lead to reproducing the issue here at avast or with other users? Thanks.
Lukas.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:52:32 PM by lukor »

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:29:09 PM »
Hi Lukas!
Thanks for your reply. I think we have communicated before. My support ticket was #QCW-755-19259.
My OS is Win7 x64.
Other than that I really dont know how to help you replicate the issue. I would just repeat myself. For example I tried downloading the same random rar (see the first post in the support ticket mentioned above) and with shields ON, the downloaded file shows CRC errors. With the shields OFF, the downloaded rar is good.
Bets regards,
Karel
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 08:22:11 PM by p.t »

REDACTED

update
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 12:37:25 AM »
I have just noticed another thing:

Firstly I went back to the webshield.ini (UseStreamFilter=0), which may or may not work slightly better, it's hard to tell, I am merely experimenting.

I use Thunderbird for my mail client and I keep copies of my mail on the server until manually deleted.
When I have Avast shields ON, TB keps downloading the same messages over and over again creating multiple instances of each message received. When I turn the shields OFF, this problem stops. The moment I turn them back ON, the problem shows up again.
Updated my TB to the latest version, the above-described behavior does not change.

Well...

Regards,
Karel
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:48:51 AM by p.t »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »
If I remember correctly, the "UseStreamFilter=0" was to solve a problem with the webshield that some people had on XP.
It never worked on later Windows versions since they work differently.
In a later version of the webshield the problem was fixed and the "UseStreamFilter=0" became obsolete (not working anymore).
Ofcourse I can be wrong, but I believe to have read this a while ago in a post from a avast member here on this webboard.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 06:41:51 PM »
Avast support suggested the *.ini edit to me in January for my win7x64 and it worked. It's not doing much now :-(
:)
Karel

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »
If my memory still is working, it is no surprise that it doesn't change anything now. (see my previous post)
I just tested it on a XP system and it indeed doesn't seem to work anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 08:50:42 PM »
If my memory still is working, it is no surprise that it doesn't change anything now. (see my previous post)
I just tested it on a XP system and it indeed doesn't seem to work anymore.

No this wasn't to resolve problems with the web shield and XP - if was for those on win7 and later who were having problems with the web shield.

Since XP doesn't use the new UseStreamFilter function - it is hardly surprising if the .ini mod makes no difference on XP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 10:22:16 PM »
@lukor

Just experienced another effect of this issue:
Shields ON blocks WinHTTrack from working. It used to work just fine prior to the update and works fine with shields OFF.

regards,
Karel

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
@lukor

FYI I have also experienced the issue described here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160289.0

from my reply there:
Also experienced twice in two days. Did not link to Avast unstil now. Add-ons in question:
Open With
Classic Theme Restorer

Regards,
Karel

UPDATED:
OS restart and the Classic Theme Restorer is gone. Not sure f it is connected to the issues I described above though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:29:29 PM by p.t »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 03:40:40 PM »
I have those Firefox extensions and AIS hasn't touched them in any of my Firefox profiles.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Mike23

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 05:35:17 PM »
Hi guys 'n' gals,
It's been a while since I last posted, coz I don't/didn't have any Avast probs to complain about.......till now.

I just struck another glitch with Avast v2015.10.0.2208.
I run WIN7 HP SP1.

Mailwasher Pro had notified me that an update was available.

I duly D/L'd the .exe & tried to install it.
All I got was that "Windows could not recognise the file or location & I did not have sufficient privileges."

After chasing the Windows "error" at the WIN7 fora without any luck, I even D/L's & installed a .reg fix to show
"Take Command" in the Context Menu.
No deal.

I eventually disabled the Avast Shields Control for 10 Mins.
& I was able to install the MWP update.

All fine & dandy. ;)
I rebooted the PC just to check things. No problems.

BUT....
Then I noticed that another app I use, did not open from the Start Menu during the reboot. WOT!
Same Windows message re; "Not sufficient privileges etc etc."

So, I tried a new shortcut from the Program folder. = No deal.

I then disabled Avast Web Shields & was able to restore my shortcut to the Start Menu.
The app now functions normally.

Why for is Avast now giving all these errors?

I've checked most of the similar threads but nothing is really relevant.

Thanks for reading & any ideas are welcome.

Regs, M..

ps. Hello GJ.

& I do not have any probs with any of my Firefox versions.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:41:29 PM by Mike23 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
I too have MailWasher Pro (MWP) - and checked for updates (as I hadn't yet been informed of one) I was informed of one and I allowed it to be downloaded.

I closed the running MWP and started the installation - I have Hardened Mode (HM) set to Aggressive; I got an alert on the MWP setup file (image1), I clicked the Add an exclusion and the install proceeded.

I got a further popup this time in the Windows\Installer\ folder for a temporary file (image2), I added an exclusion for that (same as above), I got another on the same file (action as before).

The installation completed and I restarted MWP at this point my firewall questioned the changed MailWasherPro.exe file (I allowed that) and then avast HM popup and I Added an exclusion (image3).

Whilst the two previous add an exclusion worked this one didn't, so I manually added the exclusion. Restarted the MWP and it started this time. Checked for email and this went as normal and no other problems so far.

Did you actually get any alerts, if so what and what action did you take ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »
@Mike23

Hi,
your issue appears to be worth a separate thread.
Regs,
Karel