Author Topic: Can I do this or not?  (Read 5193 times)

Norm321

Can I do this or not?
« on: August 27, 2005, 03:32:14 AM »
I currently run avast Home on my system and think it is great. I do some PC repair, upgrades and virus and spyware removal on friends and the family's computers. I like to install avast on there systems if a Anti Virus solution is needed. Most of the time I can use there email for the registration. On occasion I run into a snag and there email with the registration doesn't arrive because of spam filters or what ever reason. My Question is can I use my Yahoo mail account (the one I use for my on line sign up stuff) if I need to or is this a legal no no. None of the systems are used for commercial use. I think avast is great and would recommend it to anyone. Thanks for your responses!!  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can I do this or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 04:09:41 AM »
My Question is can I use my Yahoo mail account (the one I use for my on line sign up stuff) if I need to or is this a legal no no.
Norm, I think that could be two problems. If I'm not wrong, avast! robot does not accept yahoo mails. But I could be wrong. If avast! accepts it, I think if you use the same email address you'll get the same key. I think the better will be at your home, use your friends name and email (not yours) to register. Than, when you go to your friends house you can take the email with the key.  8)
The best things in life are free.

Norm321

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 04:48:20 AM »
Hey Tech, thanks for the response. I started looking through my papers and found my registrations for the ones I have done in the past (I print them to keep record of them. Mine was to my Yahoo address so I guess Yahoo email must work. Then I found another with my same Yahoo mail address (Ahh I remember that one, that friends mail wouldn't go through). Both had a different registration number. That situation doesn't come up to often but I just want to be sure that I wasn't doing anything that I'm not supposed to do. I did put there name in on the online registration form just my email instead of theres.  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 05:00:25 AM »
If you're installing it for different users, in different houses, no trouble (as far I know).
If you're using in the same house, you can use the same for more than one computer (if all are non-commercial).
About Yahoo, you confirmed that it works.
About the different key, oh, could be the date of the old ones. You'll receive the same key if you register at the same time with the same email, as far I tested.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 04:33:48 PM »
How about just setting up avast to use the demo registration key for ful unrestricted 60 trial use, register using their details and their email address and have them enter the new registration key.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Norm321

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 07:57:54 PM »
That's a thought David R, Thanks!! Ya that would work for some of them but some aren't to savvy and need a bunch of computer hand holding. Does avast warn you when your 60 days is up and direct you and explain the registration(License)setup to the user?  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 08:01:30 PM »
I think at about 1 week to go it starts to warn about registration. Not sure if it directs you to the web site registration page or explains, but there is something on general registration in the FAQ.

avast! 4 Home Registration
Q: My licence key has expired, what to do? http://www.avast.com/eng/my_licence_key_has_e.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 08:10:52 PM »
Does avast warn you when your 60 days is up and direct you and explain the registration setup to the user?
Warn yes... explain how, not so sure...
For the advanced users, you can disable the warning about expiration tweaking the avast4.ini file (click 'Settings' in my signature).

Norm321

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 03:32:29 PM »
Thanks for all the input, This is a great forum!!!! ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 04:10:34 PM »
Happy we could help.