Author Topic: Scheduling a Scan  (Read 5869 times)

wilf21

Scheduling a Scan
« on: August 28, 2005, 11:00:10 AM »
I'm sure this has been asked before - but how can I, using the home version, schedule a regular scan of my hard disks - you only seem to be able to start a scan going manually?  XP Home, SP2.  TIA

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Scheduling a Scan
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 11:25:46 AM »
With the home version you need to use the tasksheduler to do so.
There is a thread that explains it in detail on this board.
Please use the search option to find it.

wilf21

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 12:05:38 PM »
With the home version you need to use the tasksheduler to do so.
There is a thread that explains it in detail on this board.
Please use the search option to find it.

Thanks - will do.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 12:14:15 PM »

wilf21

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 12:42:05 PM »
excellent - many thanks

wilf21

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 02:28:41 PM »
READ THIS

Works great - many thanks.  Is there a way of scheduling the full system scan as opposed to the quick scan, though?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 02:49:33 PM »
Is there a way of scheduling the full system scan as opposed to the quick scan, though?
No, only in Professional version  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 04:30:29 PM »
READ THIS

Works great - many thanks. Is there a way of scheduling the full system scan as opposed to the quick scan, though?
You can scan every file on your system with that you just have to indicate what drives you want to scan in the scheduled task as indicated in the link Eddy gave you.
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C: E: - this will scan the entire contents of the C: and E: drives

However, the major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wilf21

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 06:59:12 PM »

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.

Thanks - looks like manual scan is more appropriate but ... what is the material difference between Quick / Standard / Thorough scans?  Would Standard be the right one to use most times or is it advisable to use Thorough?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 07:48:03 PM »
I generally use the standard scan for my weekly scan and only go to through if I suspect something.
Whilst I don't know the exact differences between the avast help file has a good description.
SETTING THE SENSITIVITY

After you select the area to scan, a bar with a slider appears. Moving the slider, you specify the scanner sensitivity. There are three levels:

Quick Scan. Only the possibly dangerous files are scanned, according to their extension. It means that the files with extensions EXE, SCR, COM, DOC, etc. are scanned. Within the file, avast! looks only for those viruses that infect the corresponding type of file. It means that macroviruses are not searched for in EXE files etc.
Standard Scan. Only the possibly dangerous files are scanned, according to their content. The file extension is ignored. Again, only the viruses corresponding to the particular file type are searched for.
Thorough Scan. All files are tested, against all viruses.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wilf21

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 08:29:58 PM »
I generally use the standard scan for my weekly scan and only go to through if I suspect something.
Whilst I don't know the exact differences between the avast help file has a good description.
SETTING THE SENSITIVITY

After you select the area to scan, a bar with a slider appears. Moving the slider, you specify the scanner sensitivity. There are three levels:

Quick Scan. Only the possibly dangerous files are scanned, according to their extension. It means that the files with extensions EXE, SCR, COM, DOC, etc. are scanned. Within the file, avast! looks only for those viruses that infect the corresponding type of file. It means that macroviruses are not searched for in EXE files etc.
Standard Scan. Only the possibly dangerous files are scanned, according to their content. The file extension is ignored. Again, only the viruses corresponding to the particular file type are searched for.
Thorough Scan. All files are tested, against all viruses.

Many thanks - that seems to clarify it.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 08:33:18 PM »
DavidR said:

However, the major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time.

It is however sensitive to the exclusions list, so as long as you do not mind managing that yourself you can easily control the time a scheuled ashquick.exe scan takes.