Author Topic: Copernic Tracker, Broken features, scan warnings  (Read 4445 times)

bizzarojerry

Copernic Tracker, Broken features, scan warnings
« on: August 28, 2005, 02:22:39 PM »
Greetings fellow Avast Users,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone involved in creating such an excellent anti-virus application that really gives the competition a run for their money. For me avast has been the answer to my prayers on many levels, resource usage, user interface and selection of anti-viral protection technologies.

I do have one problem with it though which I suspect may be a program incompatibility with a application called Copernic Tracker v1.1 build 129, this application is available for download via Copernic's website @ http://www.copernic.com/en/products/tracker/

Copernic Tracker is designed to track changes to websites at a set time period i.e. daily, weekly or monthly. It does this by download the website and then comparing changes (text, links, images) in previously sorted versions in its website database then displaying the most recent changes to end users via IE window within the application (highlighting the new changes).

Once I installed avast on my system I monitored my systems event log to see how the program would behave on my system. I noticed every time Copernic Tracker ran its scheduled tasks the following would appear in my systems event logs

Here is a snip of the avast log "WARNING"

28/08/2005 7:55p   SYSTEM   1480   AAVM - scanning warning: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx [UNI]: C:\Documents and Settings\Undefined User\Application Data\Copernic\Tracker\Data\Yummies\FolderData.dat (C:\Documents and Settings\Undefined User\Application Data\Copernic\Tracker\Data\Yummies\FolderData.dat) returning error, 0000A477. 

here is a snip of the avast log "ERROR"

28/08/2005 7:55p   SYSTEM   1480   AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of C:\Documents and Settings\Undefined User\Application Data\Copernic\Tracker\Data\Yummies\FolderData.dat failed, 0000A477. 

Now these warnings and error log entries are repeated for every website that is in the list to be checked in Copernic Tracker, as I have about 60 sites that are checked periodically that means I have many of these errors and warnings within my avast logs.

Also I suspect avast interferes with Coperinc Trackers 'Backup Tracked Pages' feature by causing the application to generate the following error

"A error occurred while saving data"
"Please make sure the file is not used by another application"

I thought about seeing if I could set avast not to scan certain directories i.e. the location Copernic Tracker stores its website database files but I am afraid that if the tracked pages ever got hijacked it could open up a can of worms on my system.

What I think though is more of a problem is being unable to backups of the tracked pages list, because of this if my system ever does become unrecoverable or I wish to transfer information from one machine to another this will certainly get difficult for users of this application.

I have also checked these forums to see if other users have had similar problems and I was able to located another user with similar issues to myself BUT I noticed that no one replied to his post, so hopefully now that we have multiple users from completely different systems reporting the same problems it might trigger someone’s curiosity to explore and resolve the issues.....

If worst comes to worst and we can't determine problem, anyone know of a equivalent application to Copernic Tracker that doesn't have problems with avast, I would be open to suggestions :-)

Regards

BizzaroJerry

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Copernic Tracker, Broken features, scan warnings
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 02:55:32 PM »
This code means: AVAST_MACROVIR_ERROR
It means, there was the error during document scanning, e.g. file couldn't be opened, not enough memory, unable to start engine, etc...

bizzarojerry

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 08:07:43 AM »
Thank you for your input Eddy,

I suspected it was something to do with locked files but was never completely sure, now that you have explained the error code you have confirmed it.

Now that we have something tangable to work with, what do we do now...

Regards

Jerry

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
Personally I see no reason to worry.
As I understand it all files are called "FolderData.dat".
Seems to me that Copernic is compressing them in a certain way.
If this is true, Copernic is using a compression algorythm unknown to Avast which make it impossible for Avast to scan.

I could be wrong, sinc it is a long time ago I worked with Copernic.
But since the data (websites) are comming to your system as a normal stream, Avast's webshield will scan them and pickup any irregularities if there are any in the websites.
Really no reason to worry about imho.
You can even add that folder (or the entire Copernic folder) to the exclusion list in Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 02:46:29 PM »
You can even add that folder (or the entire Copernic folder) to the exclusion list in Avast.
It will be safer if you exclude just FolderData.dat from Copernic folder  ;)
The best things in life are free.

bizzarojerry

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 10:15:35 AM »
Big hugs to you both guys :-)

I will do exactly that .. :-) and see what happens .. again .. thank you for your time and input .. ;-)

Kind Regards

Jerry