Author Topic: Avast! Browser Cleanup...  (Read 1480 times)

REDACTED

Avast! Browser Cleanup...
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:16:03 AM »
I have a question about my Avast! Pro.... It includes a browser cleanup option something I don't really need as I hate with a surprising passion any and all toolbar's in existence just because they exist and refuse to have any on my computer. Now the browser cleanup runs occasionally and finds nothing; but to complete it, it requires that I pick a new default search provider... OK fine... except the only options I get are Yahoo! and Bing neither of which I use since neither has ever actually manged to find a single useful search result the few times I've used them... thus I never actually 'complete' the browser cleanup since I prefer Google and don't want to reset my search engine after Avast! changes it.

So here's my question...Why is it only giving me the options of Bing or Yahoo! and not Google?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast! Browser Cleanup...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:02:27 AM »
If you don't need/want the browser cleanup tool, just remove it.
No-one has forced you to install it and no-one is forcing you to use it.

Please use the search option on this webboard before posting.
This all has been explained many times before.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! Browser Cleanup...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:56:38 PM »
The Browser Cleanup question you ask Why is it only giving me the options of Bing or Yahoo! and not Google ?, is an acknowledged problem and is being worked on.

Hopefully, that will be resolved soon - but that doesn't get away from the why is it a default option in the Tools section during installation.

Personally I don't like opt-out choices - I much prefer opt-in and that is why I do a custom install and ensure what I want installed gets installed the others don't.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security