Author Topic: SP2 Security Center  (Read 8851 times)

Norm321

SP2 Security Center
« on: August 28, 2005, 03:48:13 PM »
I'm working on a friends laptop that had a virus. Before installing avast I removed it with Sophos A V in Safe Mode (the emergency copy from) http://www2.essex.ac.uk/cs/services/networks_sa/havevirus/havevirus.htm
The virus was identified asTroj/Dloader-Y. I also disabled System Restore before the removal. I then downloaded and installed avast and ran a Boot Time scan and avast found another virus (Win32-Ad or something like that, can't remember the exact name.) I also ran a Thorough scan in Windows which came up clean. After that I installed Service Pack 2 to get the system up to date but now Windows Security Center is not finding avast. Any ideas what to do to fix this? Is it Possible that the system is still infected? Thanks in advance!!  :-\

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: SP2 Security Center
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 04:20:12 PM »
Try a repair of Avast.
start > control panel > programs > add/remove > Avast > change/delete > repair

Norm321

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 06:12:45 PM »
Eddy, Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but still no go, Security Center still reports Virus protection Not Found. Any other ideas???  ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 06:25:13 PM »
1) download and use the uninstall util from Avast's website
2) reboot
3) reinstall Avast
4) reboot

Spiritsongs

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 06:47:52 PM »
 :) Other than running anti-virus apps, did you run 1 or more
     reliable anti-spyware apps before installing SP 2 ?

Norm321

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 07:58:35 PM »
Hey Spiritsongs (cool Handle), Yes I did I ran Ad-Aware(Up to date defs) and CW Shredder. It makes me a bit suspicious that something is still lurking. I have never had this snafu on any other systems.  ???

Norm321

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 08:26:51 PM »
Update, I just installed Spybot Search and Destroy and removed some more Spyware. My next step is going to be to uninstall avast and reinstall.  >:(

neal62

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 08:44:53 PM »
You can find the Avast uninstall utility HERE .

Norm321

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 09:54:25 PM »
Thanks neal63, I got it and removed avast and reinstalled with no luck. Security Center still reports that No Anti Virus Program is Found. I guess my next step is to try to get the laptop hooked up to my wireless network and check for any Windows updates. I was trying to avoid this because I was nervous to take the chance of infecting other systems on the network. Anyone have another suggestion? I've been using my flashdrive for what I have done so far. Thanks!! :P

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 10:40:14 PM »
Did you or do you have another av on that system?
If so, which one?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 10:48:58 PM »
Norm, this is very strange. Did you uninstall avast!, boot, run the removal tool, boot, install, boot ?
I can only think the same as Eddy: you should have traces of another antivirus blocking avast! to be detected.
Do you use a firewall? Which one? Do you use any startup monitor (like PrevX)?
The best things in life are free.

Norm321

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 10:54:40 PM »
There was originally Norton and then AVG 6.0 which were both removed before installing avast.  I did not uninstall avast and then use the avast removal tool. I used the removal tool, rebooted and reinstalled. What other steps can I take to make sure all old Anti Virus remnants are gone? ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 10:59:07 PM »
Visit THIS WEBSITE and make sure ALL traces of NAV are gone.

Then repeat the 4 steps I gave you earlier.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 11:07:07 PM »
There was originally Norton and then AVG 6.0 which were both removed before installing avast.
Follow Eddy's suggestion for NAV.
AVG is not that trouble, but you can, after, search your Windows Registry to AVG or Grisoft entries. Or, use a Registry Cleaner. There is at least one thread about automatic Registry Cleaners.

I did not uninstall avast and then use the avast removal tool. I used the removal tool, rebooted and reinstalled.
Don't do this. The removal tools should be used only in case of Control Panel > Add/Remove programs failure.
Maybe you should install avast, boot, uninstall through Control Panel, boot, install again, boot.
The best things in life are free.

Norm321

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 11:23:46 PM »
There is another weird thing going on. I can't seem to make any changes to the network settings. When I try to start the Network Setup Wizard I get the error that says Cannot Complete the Network Setup Wizard. It says I don't have adequate permissions even though The account is an Administrative one. I created another one just to try and receive the same meassage. This system was a students computer that was hooked up to a school network with no firewall so who knows what all happened.  I'll do the Norton removal thing and let you know. :'(