Author Topic: SP2 Security Center  (Read 8845 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: SP2 Security Center
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 12:18:57 AM »
Try logging on as the Administrator not just as a user with admin priviliges, may help.

If an ex student computer perhaps there is some other security to stop making system changes?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Norm321

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 12:35:35 AM »
Not sure where to go from here other than just turning off the Security Center monitoring of the AV. Checked the Norton site for removal instructions(it was a coporate edition of the AV product) and checked every version they had listed and found no traces in the registry. Any other advice would be appreciated, I'm considering dynamite at this point.  >:(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2005, 03:18:43 AM »
It was a coporate edition of the AV product
Seems pirated version... not properly for home use...

I'm considering dynamite at this point.  >:(
I'll suggest the same, I mean, format, install Windows SP2, update, avast!, other security programs...
Be happy  :)
The best things in life are free.

Norm321

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 03:49:14 AM »
Ya I'm not sure how or who put that Norton on there but I put the AVG 6.0 on probably 2 years (I'm guessing) ago or so so who ever put the Norton on didn't uninstall AVG first cause when I started working on the system there were 2 icons in the system tray, one for Norton and one for AVG. One sister is done with college and is passing this laptop on to the next. Ya, I might have to get there disks and start over, luckily I have a Service Pack 2 CD that I ordered.  What I thought would be fairly painless is turning into a nightmare. :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 04:30:29 AM »
What I thought would be fairly painless is turning into a nightmare. :-\
Norm, reinstall is not a nightmare...
First thing, for me, is have at least two partitions on the HDD:
C: for the programs (Program files, Windows, etc.)
D: for your data (Documents, Sheets, Configurations, Templates, etc.).
So, when formating C: you start only the programs. Your data will be safe!
It's easy to make a full backup too: programs or your data  8)
The best things in life are free.

Norm321

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 05:08:01 AM »
Thanks Tech, I know it's not that bad. After working on it most of the day it gets a little frustrating. Tommorrow is another day, I'll get it fixed!! :)