Author Topic: Pop3 and Imap  (Read 14672 times)

Walker

Pop3 and Imap
« on: October 28, 2003, 07:01:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there are any considerations when changing some of my Pop3 settings to Imap4?.

I'm continuing to use Pop3 for most of my accounts but am changing to Imap on others.

Do I need to change anything in Avasts setup to protect both types of protocol?.

Thanks for any info.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Pop3 and Imap
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 10:41:54 PM »
It should work the same. The only catch is that IMAP is widely used with SSL authentication (much more often than POP) but this does not work with avast. Only the basic (enuncrypted) authentication/communication is supported by the avast mail scanner.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

shgoh

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 07:16:09 AM »
It should work the same. The only catch is that IMAP is widely used with SSL authentication (much more often than POP) but this does not work with avast. Only the basic (enuncrypted) authentication/communication is supported by the avast mail scanner.

sad but true... :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 12:00:15 PM »

Will this feature implemented in the future?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Walker

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 02:37:19 PM »
The only catch is...

Thanks Vlk,

So far, my IMAP accounts *seem* to work without ssl security protocols. In this case is Avast giving the same protection as with Pop3?

Could you enlighten me  ;). Are these encryption issues related to Avast limitations or technicalities with IMAP.... ie should I hop over to the 'wishlist'  :) ;)

Walker.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 02:39:33 PM by Walker »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 03:31:43 PM »
Could you enlighten me  . Are these encryption issues related to Avast limitations or technicalities with IMAP.... ie should I hop over to the 'wishlist'    

No, I don't think it's (technically) doable, at least in the way the mail scanner works now. SSL is all about security and preventing things like man-in-the-middle and this is exactly how the avast mail proxy behaves...

IMHO it is possible to make a SSL-enabled scanner but it would require a complete rewrite, and a lot of other nuisance stuff (such as access to the keys/certificates etc)..

Vlk
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 03:44:07 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

pekka

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 03:42:16 PM »
Yes, Avast does not support SSL, but with Stunnel You can easily encrypt all email traffic.

My pop "chain": Outlook- K9-Avast-Stunnel(SSL)-ISP with SSL supported pop3 server.
My smtp "chain": Outlook-Avast-Stunnel(SSL)-ISP with SSL supported smtp server.

Stunnel is GPL, and I have used it about one year with no problems!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 08:39:52 PM »
Stunnel is GPL, and I have used it about one year with no problems!

Could you please post a link to this application?  ;)
Will it encript the traffic just for the sender or either for whom the email was sent (I mean, decript)?  ;)

pekka

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 10:24:12 PM »

Walker

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2003, 12:35:55 AM »
Thanks Vlk, thanks Pekka,

Vlk, is Imap without ssl getting the same protection with Avast as it is with Pop3?. Am I allowed to put it on the wishlist... just for the long winter days, when you guys have got nothing to do  :) ;)

Pekka, never really had much to do with Imap, it's just been a check box I've left empty when using Pop3  ;). Am I right in thinking that the only function of ssl is to encrypt the login details (username/p'word) during transmission?. Also, do you use a normal ISP that has implimented ssl on pop servers?.... sorry to be curious...  :)

Walker.

pekka

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 09:33:20 AM »
With SSL all traffic between You (Your email client program that is) and Your ISP's email server is encrypted. I don't use IMAP myself, but I think that Stunnel does the SSL trick (with Avast) for You.

Stunnel decrypts the data for Avast to scan (and encrypts the login /password when sending to ISP through Avast scanner).

I can use pop/imap/smtp  with or without SSL, my ISP has both systems working.
This is very common, at least here in Finland.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 12:04:27 PM »
Thanks pekka, I'll take a look on Stunnel...  ;)

Walker

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 12:28:32 PM »
With SSL all traffic between You (Your email client program that is) and Your ISP's email server is encrypted.

Thanks Pekka,

I did check Stunnel and think you are spot on with your description.

It comes to my mind that it is good to have, say your login encrypted but not too much other use if message content is only encrypted between the local and remote hosts..  ie apart from the login, the text of any message is still travelling around the rest of the network (internet) un-encrypted.

When I really need to, I use PGP, I suppose SSL just adds the login security.

Thanks very much for the info., it's interesting.

Walker.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 01:55:10 AM »
With SSL all traffic between You (Your email client program that is) and Your ISP's email server is encrypted.

Thanks Pekka,

I did check Stunnel and think you are spot on with your description.

It comes to my mind that it is good to have, say your login encrypted but not too much other use if message content is only encrypted between the local and remote hosts..  ie apart from the login, the text of any message is still travelling around the rest of the network (internet) un-encrypted.

When I really need to, I use PGP, I suppose SSL just adds the login security.

Thanks very much for the info., it's interesting.

Walker.

Hey Walker, do you suggest any application(s) to encrypt all the message (not just a login security as you said)? Remember that a Freeware is better...  ;D

Walker

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 02:01:35 AM »
Hey Walker, do you suggest any application(s) to encrypt all the message (not just a login security as you said)? Remember that a Freeware is better...  ;D

Tech,

The standard for many years has been PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) and in most cases this is a freeware application.

Try looking at www.pgp.com or www.pgpi.org alternatively a google should find you many references.

Walker.