Author Topic: Google Virus?  (Read 4874 times)

Newfie

Google Virus?
« on: August 28, 2005, 05:34:26 AM »
Well I got a virus question, I'm one of those people that leaves googles gmail running in a tab to keep a check on my email. Well I could see firefox refreshing it for is auto check for emails, and then all of a sudden Avast!'s On-Access protector pops up tell me a virus of the "Nutcracker Family" is attempting entrance into my computer, of course I use the great abort connection feature. I have a log of this occurance but I'm wondering could the on-access protector be wrong, I trust google alot at the moment, should I be putting my trust in them after this situation. Below is what was logged:
8/28/2005 12:50:41 AM   SYSTEM   1484   Sign of "Nutcracker family" has been found in "http://mail.google.com/mail/?&ik=9d678d63dd&view=tl&search=inbox&start=0&tlt=105fb0d09a2&fp=d6504a238c556396&auto=1&zx=4zh20-f17w5u" file. 

I tried to reproduce this attempt by the virus using the link but it did not work.

If anyone can spectulate I would be very grateful!  ???

RedSector

Re: Google Virus?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 05:43:53 AM »
I would have to guess that one of the emails contained somthing malicious.  I can tell you this is not googles fault.  However, you know now that avast! is doing a good job of protecting you.

Newfie

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 07:28:51 AM »
I never opened any of my emails, it was just refreshing to check the email, I found it weird so I just posted see if anyone knew anything, hopefully it never happens again!  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 02:53:19 PM »
I can tell you this is not googles fault.
Does Google protect us? I mean, can they asure their emails will be never infected and does not require scanning?
If so, why we're scanning them with avast?
The best things in life are free.

RedSector

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 05:05:08 PM »
I feel google does alot to protect us.  Thier anti-phishing technology in gmail works great.  However, it is not thier primary concern or thier obligation.  I don't see how google can be at fault for someone sending you a virus infected email.  In fact I read an article about how google will be adding antivirus support to thier beta mail service in the future.  However, in no way am I advocating using email (even connecting to a network) with a Windows system without an antivirus..