Author Topic: New Avast HTTPS decrypting makes Youtube slow.  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Marc50

New Avast HTTPS decrypting makes Youtube slow.
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:56:36 AM »
Since Avast updated to the latest version, I get constant load stalls at youtube.
Upon inspection with Fiddler, it always happens when Firefox loads items/thumbnails from these 2 sites :

- https://i.ytimg.com
- https://s.ytimg.com

Since I unchecked the option to scan HTTPS connections in Avast, Youtube loads fast and smooth again.

EDIT : Sorry for the double post, after numerous tries to decipher the unreadable image verification, this forum also seems to serve the user a stalling/endless loading page after a post is made. :o
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:17:00 AM by Marc50 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: New Avast HTTPS decrypting makes Youtube slow.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »
No problem with IE11 and youtube

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »
Avast HTTPS scanning works great with YouTube while watching 'At Last the 1948 Show', especially the 'Top Of The Form' and 'Meek Bouncer' sketches.

:)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
No problem on either Firefox or Chrome.

Try a repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 01:53:45 AM »
Since Avast updated to the latest version, I get constant load stalls at youtube.

I've seen no evidence of that here, with Win 8.1 and IE.

EDIT : Sorry for the double post, after numerous tries to decipher the unreadable image verification, this forum also seems to serve the user a stalling/endless loading page after a post is made. :o

I've DEFINITELY seen that happen too.

-Noel

Offline Marc50

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 12:42:26 AM »
Well, after "Repairing" & re-enabling that "HTTPS Scanning" option again, at least a youtube video page loads in about 8 to 9 seconds now instead of hanging for minutes, but still the Web scanning engine has a HUGE impact on pages that load lots of small items, like youtube for example (load in 2 to 3 secs with Web Shield disabled) , and it's most evidently when there are lots of items on HTTPS sites.
Web Shield still makes average web pages loading time 3x as long as with it disabled.

@Para-Noid "Repairing" Avast at least seem to have had some positive impact. Thanks a lot !
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:45:44 AM by Marc50 »