Author Topic: HTTPS scanning is utter crap  (Read 2597 times)

REDACTED

HTTPS scanning is utter crap
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
I don't get why Avast releases such a buggy feature like HTTPS.

I've given up and turned it off. I can't upload images in some CMS systems (confirmed bug), just now I wasn't able to download addblock plus addon with https scanning on, i've had issued both with facebook and youtube, with HTTPS scanning enabled, my Firefox sync has issues. Now it's completely disabled and I have done the same on my other machines, plus my families machines running Avast. It's just not worth it, running with such a buggy feature.

Offline avaster78

Re: HTTPS scanning is utter crap
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
2015 version has been quite  problematic with all these new features. NG most of all. Of course there's so many variables with different system setups. For some work, for some don't.
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. Avast Free Latest. Opera (Chromium). SpywareBlaster 5.5. Windows 10 Firewall Control Free 64-bit (together w/ Windows Firewall). HW: HP G5139sc - Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHz - 4 GB (Dual-channel). VDSL2 Modem Router w/ Firewall. Internet 50Mbs.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »
It gets worse. Today I've been plagued with Firefox loosing all it's addons. First I thought it was because of Firefox Sync, but my Mac wasn't affected. Then I turned off firefox sync and was still hit by the problem. Then I read in Firefox forums, that other also have the issue and Avast seems to be the culprit.

No with HTTPS scanning off, my guess is that the problem will dissapear.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:56:14 PM »
I honestly can't see how HTTPS scanning can have anything to do with losing all of your add-ons.

You don't say what version number you have, 10.0.2208 being the latest (other than avast IS 2015) and that had a fix for earlier HTTPS issues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:27:29 AM »
Well the HTTPS scanning has caused following problems with Firefox addons:

Crashes Firefox when checking for updates
Can't install Firefox addons on some https sites

So I wouldn't be surprised if the HTTPS scanning is the culprit of this.

I'm running 2208, which still has lots of issues with HTTPS scanning.