Author Topic: avast! Free Antivirus won't automatically update the program although it's set  (Read 14953 times)

REDACTED

I have an ongoing issue for more than a year now with different versions of avast! Free Antivirus - it won't automatically update the program although it's set to do so.
It seems that this issue occurred to other users here: (sorted by date from the oldest to the newest)

Here is what I tried to do: (also see screenshots below)
  • I set the program "Automatic update" setting
  • I set the "My computer is permanently connected to the internet" option as avast recommended at: Avast 2015: Performing VPS update and/or Program update.
    Quote from: Avast 2015: Performing VPS update and/or Program update
    if your computer is permanently connected to the internet. This will optimize the way that Avast 2015 checks for new updates and make the update process more reliable.
  • I set the "Program version" setting for status monitoring. However, avast won't notify in the home screen that there's a newer version.
  • I performed repair to the program once (in Programs and Features in the Control Panel), and it helped for one update. After that this issue came back.
  • I performed clean installation as instructed here.
  • I checked the "def" folder (C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs) and it seems that avast is downloading new updates.
  • I checked the Update.log file (%allusersprofile%\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs) and found some errors. I posted them in the second post below.
  • I waited and waited since a lot here deem it's because of a server load / update interval. And I'm still waiting...
  • I posted a ticket (ticket #LQR-980-67516) to the Avast Customer & Technical Support. They suggested performing a repair, and a clean installation if needed. As I described, it helped only for one automatic update. Since that ticket is one year old I posted a new one today (ticket #TUG-383-75347).

Of course I can update it manually, and I can see the "A new version of the program [2015.10.0.2208] is available!" message in the update settings (see screenshots below) - but I want it to occur automatically.
The main reason is security - I want it to be updated as soon as possible, and I installed it on a lot of computers of people who won't manually update (and shouldn't even if they're told to - the program itself should do it!)
Nevertheless I'd like to emphasize that in a few computers (I install avast on a lot of computers) it is automatically updating.

How can I solve this issue?
Is there anything I can do but repair or uninstall and reinstall?
Are there any logs which I can check in order to see if something is wrong?
Could it be because I'm always using the offline installer? (although, as I mentioned, it is working in a few computers)

Some technical details:
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 Media Refresh
  • avast! Free Antivirus version: 2014.9.0.2021
  • I installed it with the offline installer.
  • I performed a custom installation in which I remove the mail protection and the additional tools.
  • There's no other security software installed besides Windows Firewall.

This is exactly how I feel about this issue:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:32:45 AM by Oz Edri »

REDACTED

If I check the Update.log file (at %allusersprofile%\AVAST Software\Persistent Data\Avast\Logs) I can see some errors which occurred at 26th October 2014:
Quote from: Update.log
[13:35:52] [info   ] [instupcore     ] [ 2460: 1476] Checking for updates has started.
[13:35:52] [info   ] [servers        ] [ 2460: 1476] Server definition(s) loaded for 'd:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\servers.def': 29 (maintenance:0)
[13:35:52] [info   ] [servers        ] [ 2460: 1476] ChooseServer: selected server 'Download h6611111 AVAST9 Server' with current url 'http://h6611111.iavs9x.u.avast.com/iavs9x' of type 'URL_TYPE_DOWNLOAD_PROGRAM'.
[13:35:52] [error  ] [dldwrap        ] [ 2460: 1476] GetFileWithRetry: An error 41222 (0x0000A106) [Host unreachable] has occured when downloading a file from 'http://h6611111.iavs9x.u.avast.com/iavs9x/servers.def.vpx'. Next try: 1
[13:35:52] [info   ] [servers        ] [ 2460: 1476] ChooseServer: selected server 'Download h4412792 AVAST9 Server' with current url 'http://h4412792.iavs9x.u.avast.com/iavs9x' of type 'URL_TYPE_DOWNLOAD_PROGRAM'.
[13:35:54] [error  ] [dldwrap        ] [ 2460: 1476] GetFileWithRetry: An error 41222 (0x0000A106) [Host unreachable] has occured when downloading a file from 'http://h4412792.iavs9x.u.avast.com/iavs9x/servers.def.vpx'. Next try: 2
[13:35:54] [info   ] [servers        ] [ 2460: 1476] ChooseServer: selected server 'Download y8418410 AVAST9 Server' with current url 'http://y8418410.iavs9x.u.avast.com/iavs9x' of type 'URL_TYPE_DOWNLOAD_PROGRAM'.

An so on until the 10th time:
Quote from: Update.log
[13:36:28] [info   ] [servers        ] [ 2460: 1476] ChooseServer: selected server 'Download h6611111 AVAST9 Server' with current url 'http://h6611111.iavs9x.u.avast.com/iavs9x' of type 'URL_TYPE_DOWNLOAD_PROGRAM'.
[13:36:30] [error  ] [dldwrap        ] [ 2460: 1476] GetFileWithRetry: An error 41222 (0x0000A106) [Host unreachable] has occured when downloading a file from 'http://h6611111.iavs9x.u.avast.com/iavs9x/prod-ais.vpx'. Next try: 10
[13:36:30] [info   ] [servers        ] [ 2460: 1476] ChooseServer: selected server 'Download h6611111 AVAST9 Server' with current url 'http://h6611111.iavs9x.u.avast.com/iavs9x' of type 'URL_TYPE_DOWNLOAD_PROGRAM'.
[13:36:32] [error  ] [pkgengine      ] [ 2460: 1476] DownloadPackage(download): 'd:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\prod-ais.vpx', ip: unknown, has failed with code: 41222 (0x0000A106) [Host unreachable]
[13:36:32] [error  ] [pkgengine      ] [ 2460: 1476] LoadLatestProdAndParts: download product file 'prod-ais.vpx' has failed. Status: 41222 (0x0000A106) [Host unreachable]

Other than that I don't see any relevant errors there.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:55:56 PM by Oz Edri »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
The point I should have made is; if users are having this issue they could and probably
should start a thread explaining their problem. There can be several reasons why their avast
won't auto-update the program. It could range from a software conflict to, more likely, a
firewall not allowing the connection, or an avast install that needs to be "repaired".

I can readily understand the "personal" reasons. "You want to know". There is nothing
wrong what-so-ever in that. If the reason is to effect change within avast, I would probably
go about it differently.

In all honesty, I prefer to choose when I allow avast to do a program update. That way
I don't get any possible "unwanted" surprises. My attitude is, "it's my computer therefore it's my choice."
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

As for the different problems you mentioned:
  • software conflict: so what if there's no other security software installed besides Windows Firewall?
  • firewall: so how come streaming / virus definition updates working just fine? Is avast using different servers for the program update? Will the firewall "say" yes to streaming, but no for program updates?
  • repair: then how come after one repair and one good automatic update this issue comes back? Shouldn't avast investigate and treat this issue with more concern?

As for the "personal" reasons - there are no such reasons for me.
I'm here not only for myself but also for the community.
Besides, I have it installed on a lot of computers and I want to know it'll work as it should.
All of us, avast users, should and could benefit from an efficient security solution.

I will go about it differently - I'll contact their support and update here about it.
In the meantime I'm investigating and searching for more topics about it so I'll see how others solved it, if at all.
By the way, I did contacted them in the past and they suggested the repair. As I mentioned, it worked only for one good automatic update, and after that this issue came back.
I will let them know about it soon.

As for you preference - I do appreciate the control and the "unwanted surprises" reasons - I'm myself like this, and I treated like that to all of the software until recently. But now to me security is more important, and a security software should update as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:50:23 PM by Oz Edri »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
The program update is important. But having the latest vps updates is even more important.
We have some users still using v7.0 but have the latest vps updates.

We, forum members, do not know what is or is not on another users computer.
Having that information is vital to our assistance.

The vps updates and the program updates are not necessarily on the same server.
Nor do they use the criteria for "pushing out" updates.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

Well, now after you're aware about what I'm having on my computer (as I described in the first post above), what are you suggesting me to do?
And please don't suggest to:
  • do it manually - since it's not a good solution on the long run.
  • repair avast - since it was done before and it help only for one automatic update, and after that this issue came back.

By the way, as I'm writing this I'm checking various solution and I'm about to contact avast support again.
Of course I'll update here about any solution whatsoever.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Based on what I gather, this issue has been apparent for some time.

There is also this: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=148798.msg1080956#msg1080956

So I'd assume that the update times are rationed to avoid stress on the servers.

Can anyone else replicate? If so, how?

Thanks,
~!Donovan
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:42:37 PM by !Donovan »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

REDACTED

I'll just remind that I installed avast! Free Antivirus on countless computers and this is how I did it:
  • I installed it by using the offline installer.
  • I performed a custom installation in which I remove the mail protection and the additional tools.
  • I set the program to update automatically and to monitor the program updates. (screenshots above in the first post)
I'll also remind that in some computers it works, and in some it doesn't.

If I can provide any other details (logs, specifications, whatever) I'll be glad to provide them.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I'll just remind that I installed avast! Free Antivirus on countless computers and this is how I did it:
  • I installed it by using the offline installer.
  • I set the program to update automatically and to monitor the program updates. (screenshots above in the first post)
I'll also remind that in some computers it works, and in some it doesn't.

If I can provide any other details (logs, specifications, whatever) I'll be glad to provide them.

Donovan has pretty much summed it up.

With the program update set to automatic, it will update eventually.

When it will update will depend on the server load. This could take weeks or months.

You need to take into account the amount of users avast! has + the server loads on VPS and stream updates.

Different PCs may update due to different servers (which may be balanced at that time).

You can update manually at any time but I do get your point that it's not practical to not have the latest version.  Many other anti-virus also release their program updates in stages for server load though you can always update theirs manually too.

This is something that only Avast can change from their back end.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I hope it'll update eventually. I'm waiting for one year now...
I think it's apparent that there's some problem with the program update mechanism.

One year ago I posted a ticket (ticket #LQR-980-67516) to the Avast Customer & Technical Support. They suggested performing a repair, and a clean installation if needed. As I described, it helped only for one automatic update. Since that ticket is one year old I posted a new one today (ticket #TUG-383-75347).

I'll update about their answer.

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I hope it'll update eventually. I'm waiting for one year now...
I think it's apparent that there's some problem with the program update mechanism.

One year ago I posted a ticket (ticket #LQR-980-67516) to the Avast Customer & Technical Support. They suggested performing a repair, and a clean installation if needed. As I described, it helped only for one automatic update. Since that ticket is one year old I posted a new one today (ticket #TUG-383-75347).

I'll update about their answer.

It's not a problem with the program update mechanism. However, it could be a problem with a server.

Try manually updating the program and see what server it connects to.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

REDACTED

I don't want to run it manually since I did it countless times in the past. I want it to work automatically.
If its the server details you wish to know about, maybe the errors from the Update.log file that I posted in the seconds post above will help and give more information.

REDACTED

avast got updated automatically right now in at least 3 computers that I manage (mine, my father's, and my mother's).
So it took a month and a week for the update cycle to come to us... (Avast! 2015 SP1 10.0.2208 got release at 2014-10-21)
Hopefully the next updates won't take this long.