Author Topic: Server Issues - plz help  (Read 6697 times)

KerrSolutions

Server Issues - plz help
« on: August 25, 2005, 03:17:11 AM »
Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
--->Description: Virus chest server is not running. RPC communication failed.

I get this error upon initialisation of Avast Server edition, trying to enter it, basically when ever i try to do anything with Avast :) - there is nothing in the chest and the size is as big as I can make it...any thoughts?

also the RPC communication I have been informed it is because it cannot connect to the internet but we have a Netgear router, and the server can talk to the internet without a worry....if you manually tell avast to d/l the latest definitions it will but it will not do it automatically....

Please any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Server Issues - plz help
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 03:23:59 AM »
I don't use the server version, but RPC error is generally related to avast! services that have being stopped.
Other causes are another antivirus present or, at least, firewall blocking.

RPC error is most likely correct by using the 'Repair' function. I'm not sure you can do this in your avast! version.
Can you take a look into your running Services applet and see how the avast services are set to start (automatically or manual).?
The best things in life are free.

KerrSolutions

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 04:13:54 AM »
All services related to Avast are set to automatic, i have already been in and changed one before this date that was set to manual.....

There is no firewall present.....no other antivirus software ever installed....

where is the repair function found so i can check to see if it is possible to use in my version???

the only other thing that i can tell you about the setup is that when initially installed i used the demo license as avast hadn't sent me the real copy yet, but as soon as i got it I put it over and the program now realises it is legit copy and that it has so long before it times out...but this shouldn't cause an issue, otherwise they wouldn't have the option to do this....surely???

kwg

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 04:50:37 AM »
where is the repair function found so i can check to see if it is possible to use in my version???

1. Go to

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

2. Select avast! Server Edition.

3. Click the Change/Remove button.

4. Select Repair.

5. Click the Next button.

Ken
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 04:54:11 AM by kwg »

KerrSolutions

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 05:07:18 AM »
thanks i'll look at the repair function now...

but what about all the other issues or do you's believe the repair will fix all???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 08:25:23 AM »
So, can you START the "avast antivirus" service? If not, what error message do you get?

What OS are you using?

Which avast component is giving you the ODBC error (as you mentioned in another thread), exactly?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

KerrSolutions

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 03:18:09 AM »

Program cannot use Chest client: (null)
--->Description: Virus chest server is not running. RPC communication failed.

is what i get everytime i try to open the program..the program loads into tray....after rebooting computer i get message that at least 1 service during boot failed to initialise and this error has only every occured after avast has been installed....

i am running Windows Server 2003.....1 instance of this is on 32 bit system another on the 64 bit version....

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 08:27:51 AM »
1. the "Program cannot use virus chest" message almost always means that the "avast antivirus" service is not running. Is it? (Administrative Tools -> Services). If not, can you start it?

2. The message "at least 1 service failed to start" indicates that there should be an entry written to the Windows Event Log, with some details. Can you look up the entry and say which service it is, exactly, and what was the reason it didn't start? (should be there as well).

3. The ODBC error was reported by whom, exactly?

4. What exactly do you mean by "1 instance of this is on 32-bit system and another on 64-bit"? So the machine has dual-boot, and sometimes you boot into 32-bit Windows and sometimes to 64-bit? If so, is avast installed separately into these two systems (to different directories) or you're sharing it? And does the same problem happen in both of the OS's?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.