Author Topic: Cannot logon to Windows after installing avast  (Read 5149 times)

jorusi

Cannot logon to Windows after installing avast
« on: August 30, 2005, 11:54:47 AM »
Hello,

I seem to have run into a problem.  I just upgraded my computer to Windows 2000 from WIndows 98.  I repaired the installed avast on it, as it didn't appear to be working at all, and now when i try to boot and log onto Windows, it won't let me log on at all, no matter what account I use, or even if I try to log on in safe mode.  I get a message that says that the "domain xxxxx is not available".  The funny thing is that the domain that it lists is the name of my computer.  Any suggestions?

jorusi

galooma

Re: Cannot logon to Windows after installing avast
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 11:58:33 AM »
hi and welcome Jorusi
were you connected to the internet when you did your repair??
If my guess is correct then there`s your problem .
try it again while connected or run a fresh install after uninstalling perhaps.

jorusi

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 12:11:35 PM »
Thanks for the welcome,

Unfortunately, I cannot do what you suggest.  I cannot get past the windows logon screen, it refuses to let me logon at all.  Is there a way to uninstall it in the MS-DOS mode?

jorusi

galooma

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 12:24:12 PM »
sounds like you might need to wipe you HD and re install w2k from a clean slate.
because avast installs differently on NT software to win 9X ,its understandable why the old install wouldnt have worked.
Maybe someone else might have a work around if you wait a while.Im sorry but its out of my league, good luck

jorusi

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 12:41:54 PM »
Ok, well thanks anyways!

jorusi

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 02:01:51 PM »
Can you boot in Safe Mode (F8) and try to uninstall avast?
You can use the unistaller after the Control Panel > Add/Remove and boot: Avast Uninstall

Then you should be able to boot as usual and reinstall it.

In fact, Microsoft should warn this while updating. I mean, from Windows 2k to XP there was a 'compatibility' analysis but I think that from 98 to 2k it wasn't.
The best things in life are free.

jorusi

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 06:20:51 PM »
No, unfortunately I can not even get to that point.  I cannot log into Windows at all.  Whenever I boot the computer, it hangs forever loading windows and preparing the network connections, then I get an error that says "the system cannot log you on now because the domain computername is not available.  It doesn't matter if I try to boot in safe mode or normal mode, I still get the same error.

jorusi

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 06:42:19 PM »
It doesn't matter if I try to boot in safe mode or normal mode, I still get the same error.

that's rather strange since no avast drivers are loaded in safe mode. You might as well delete avast drivers from system32\drivers directory (eg. by booting into the recovery console from Windows installation CD), but the result should be the same - they would not get loaded in the same way as they do not load in the Safe mode.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 06:46:14 PM »
jorusi,

it is a well known fact that upgrading from 9x to a NT based system can cause all kinds of problems.
I suggest you do a fresh install of 2k.

jorusi

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 06:56:04 PM »
Thanks everyone,

I'm in the process of doing a fresh install now.  Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

jorusi

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 06:56:32 PM »
jorusi,

it is a well known fact that upgrading from 9x to a NT based system can cause all kinds of problems.
I suggest you do a fresh install of 2k.

Yes, I must confirm this. At least all kinds of system level software, like sound and video drivers, firewalls and antiviruses must be uninstalled prior to upgrade!