Author Topic: GF cleaned my PC, now PC locks up on reboot  (Read 1857 times)

REDACTED

GF cleaned my PC, now PC locks up on reboot
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:42:15 PM »
I've read through a number of other posts here about problems caused by GF, but none seem to address the exact same behavior I'm experiencing. I purchased GF last night, then it went through and cleaned my PC successfully, and showed me what actions it had taken. But when I restarted the PC, it got as far as my desktop wallpaper and icons, loaded a few start-up applications, and then locked up completely (perhaps while loading GF, but I don't know for certain).

No error message of any kind. PC clock had frozen, and pc was unresponsive to keyboard, including crtl alt del. I had to press and hold the power button to get it to shut down. Now whenever I power it on, it gets to the same point and locks up again.

I notice that the hard drive keeps kerchunking away (for want of a better term) long after the PC has frozen, then eventually quiets down after a few minutes, which suggests to me that it's getting hung on a start-up app, most likely GF.

Running on Windows XP.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
Re: GF cleaned my PC, now PC locks up on reboot
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 02:53:15 PM »
Hi cmaso,

If you could open a ticket and include the log file it would be a big help.

You can get the log file by going to Computer, Program Data, Avast Software, Avast, Log.

In the log folder you will see a log titled "GrimeFighter"  It is a .txt file.

Thanks,

Davidek