Author Topic: WebShield issues (again)  (Read 12703 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: WebShield issues (again)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 10:59:13 PM »
Indeed P.T., that should be in another thread.

b.t.w. I can run HTTrack without a problem with the shields on.

Offline Mike23

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »
Thanks guys.
Will start a new thread.
Regs, M..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
Thanks guys.
Will start a new thread.
Regs, M..

Did you read my reply - it really should give you an idea what to do as I had no problem running the MWP update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »
More info:
used my old HDD with a previous Win7 x64 installation in my current PC for testing. Old Avast, old FF. Here are the results:
FF 27.0, updated Avast: no file downloading in FF with shields ON possible, no disappearing add-on problems.
Updated FF, previously updated Avast: again no problems with net access or FF add-ons.
I have started updating the OS to see if any OS update might be the cause of this conflict.

Regards,
Karel

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »
I may have solved this.
Uninstalled Avast with problems. Some files just could not be deleted. Used avastclear in safemode, which deleted all my desktop files (no kidding), but also removed avast. Then reinstalled avast and so far it seems to be working fine. So it may be something about automatic updating using the Avast's own update program feature. The mail is not downloading duplicate instances and the FFox addons seems untouched so far. Though some things still dont seem to work 100%. This is a fresh thing, will test more.
Karel

update:
mail seems ok
web access seems ok with occasional bad data (e.g. damaged jpeg), few web pages open fast, few slowly and most wont open at all with shields ON
files downloaded are damaged with shields ON
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:45:47 PM by p.t »

REDACTED

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
I've been busting my bottom end testing this over the last three days and still no new help from support?
 :'( :'( :'(

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »
update:

shields ON mangles jpeg attachments downloaded via Thunderbird. web access to the mail account displays the jpegs fine.

:(
Karel

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »
With all of the avast shields, Web Shield, Mail Shield and File System Shield enabled on this win XP system with MailWasher and Outpost Firewall Pro.

I have just sent an email with an attached .jpg to my gmail account - it displayed online just fine.

I then forwarded it to another (non-gmail) email address - this was received using thunderbird 31.2.0. I then saved the attachment to my hard drive and double clicking on it, it opened without problem by the associated image viewer, IrfanView.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on with your system and avast installation - that is probably the case you have had no further input as no one has been able to replicate it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security