Author Topic: Lastest Windows Update Problems  (Read 305203 times)

REDACTED

Re: Lastest Windows Update Problems
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2014, 04:18:16 PM »
Same problem after installing KB3000850. Windows 8.1 x64, Avast Free 2015.

BTW, is there a ticket or bug report about this issue?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2014, 04:25:19 PM »
It would be useful to find out what the commonality is apart from Avast, especially as it has not affected all windows 8.1.1 with Avast

REDACTED

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
The same here with Avast Endpoint protection plus. IE wont start, PC wont shutdown or reboot, Visual Studio's post-build was not working (probably cmd was screwed). I uninstalled Avast without switching to Safe Mode (killing all its processes first) and the issues were fixed after shutting off power manually. I switched to Windows Defender and I will probably not pay again for this software as the only thing it does is it bothers me with many FPs.

REDACTED

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2014, 04:50:34 PM »
It would be useful to find out what the commonality is apart from Avast, especially as it has not affected all windows 8.1.1 with Avast

Maybe logitech SetPoint software? I have it and I saw it mentioned couple of times by other guys. But it's just a wild guess, I can't see a way how could SetPoint affect OS in such a way...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:59:16 PM by smeyo42 »

REDACTED

« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
I'm not 100% sure this is totally related to NG and installing this update. I have updated 4 systems with NG enabled and haven't had a single issue.

Just want to add this to help the devs narrow down the cause of these problems.

:)

REDACTED

« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2014, 05:27:47 PM »
I was close to reinstalling windows because my computer is a mess after this latest update. I'm getting errors like "server execution failed" a little here and there and my pc won't shut down, log off or restart. Will have to try to uninstall avast when I get home until it is found what exactly is the cause of this. If it is not only avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
no need to uninstall avast..

what i did (2 pc's)

went to control panel -> programs and features (cause right click on the strt button and going to programs and features doesnt work)

then view installed updates. scrolled down to windows updates. found KB3000850 and clicked remove. windows then does stuff and tries restarting.. everytime it got stuck on restarting i held the power button in. and then manualy started it.

can confirm both machines are working ok

REDACTED

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
I have 2 Windows 8.1 machines. On one I am having all those problems that have been mentioned here. Microsoft Support is currently in the process of reinstalling Win 8.1 on that machine via remote hookup. The second machine has both Avast 2208 and KB3000850 and it works fine.

REDACTED

« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
no need to uninstall avast..

what i did (2 pc's)

went to control panel -> programs and features (cause right click on the strt button and going to programs and features doesnt work)

then view installed updates. scrolled down to windows updates. found KB3000850 and clicked remove. windows then does stuff and tries restarting.. everytime it got stuck on restarting i held the power button in. and then manualy started it.

can confirm both machines are working ok
The idea is to be able to keep both, when it comes to choosing one, it's better to keep updates than some iffy AV.

REDACTED

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2014, 06:56:51 PM »
Same issue here with W8.1 x64 and all latest updates.

On system boot, several start up applications fail to launch. I am also just having general stability issues as well.

REDACTED

« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
I have experienced this problem with two Windows 8.1 (64bit) PC's that were running Avast 2015 Free. Straight after installing the update KB3000850 the problems started. IE11 would not open (hangs for a while then closes when opened). PC's will not shutdown/restart (only manual shut down via power button worked).  Control panel functions and certain windows explorer  right clicks do not work.

I uninstalled KB3000850 and both PC's now work perfectly.

I then tried a PC with a clean windows 8.1 with all updates including KB3000850 but no Avast and all works perfectly, therefore can only conclude the problem is Avast 2015. however I am reluctant to run without Avast so for now I am not installing the KB3000850 update on the original PC's.

Its shame that so many posts indicate that there has been a lack of Avast support on this matter, I would like to remain loyal to Avast but ultimately if this issue is not addressed soon I will need to look elsewhere for a suitable AV.

REDACTED

« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2014, 07:49:22 PM »
Same issue here with Windows 8.1 x64 and KB3000850 (Windows 8.1 Update R2 / Windows 8.1 R4)

KB3000850 not Update 3
KB3000850 Replace KB2919355 = Windows 8.1 Update R2
winblue_r4.141028-1500 = Windows 8.1(Blue) R4

What I did:
1.Avast 2208 (Only File system shield, Web Shield)
Disable File system shield, Web Shield, Self Defense Module, HW virtualization

2.Update KB3000850

3.Restart & Login

4.Same problem here

5.Open Task Manager
Runonce.exe /Run6432 causing this issue?

6.Uninstall Avast in safemode

7.Restart & Login

8.Open Task Manager
Runonce.exe /Run6432 don't exist
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:51:27 PM by Foola »

Offline KevTech

« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2014, 08:31:52 PM »
Have you rebooted your PC a second time after the install ?
Seems some are affected right at install reboot..........some after an additional reboot.

Rebooted, shutdown, sleep many times since 11/18 (first install date of updates) and no issues.

RejZoR also posted he has no issues.

I've installed them all and i don't see any difference.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
That is not a known Avast file, and as it is run once I would suspect it has something to do with the update

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
We have been able to simulate the problem in our lab and I think we fixed this issue. This Windows updates calls new memory related functions which are not fully compatible with avast. We'll prepare EmUpdate with the patched driver tomorrow morning (it means, all & new avast installations should be patched immediately, that's how it works).