Author Topic: Lastest Windows Update Problems  (Read 305210 times)

REDACTED

Re: Lastest Windows Update Problems
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
We have been able to simulate the problem in our lab and I think we fixed this issue. This Windows updates calls new memory related functions which are not fully compatible with avast. We'll prepare EmUpdate with the patched driver tomorrow morning (it means, all & new avast installations should be patched immediately, that's how it works).
Good job AVAST!
Thank you for your business!

Offline Steve33

« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
We have been able to simulate the problem in our lab and I think we fixed this issue. This Windows updates calls new memory related functions which are not fully compatible with avast. We'll prepare EmUpdate with the patched driver tomorrow morning (it means, all & new avast installations should be patched immediately, that's how it works).
Good job AVAST!
Thank you for your business!

Thank you avast

REDACTED

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »

How will this work for machines that are still bricked after uninstalling Avast?  I have Avast and the update uninstalled now and while restarting and shutting down have been fixed I can still make no system level changes like installing or uninstalling.

REDACTED

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »
How will this work for machines that are still bricked after uninstalling Avast?  I have Avast and the update uninstalled now and while restarting and shutting down have been fixed I can still make no system level changes like installing or uninstalling.
If you don't have BACKUP your HDD (Macrium Reflect works with Win 8.1 for me)
MAY BE you should try
at the first "sfc /scannow" from CMD (as admin!) and if any problem not fixed
the second "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" in same CMD as admin...
IMHO
P.S. ... to have BackUp - the best choice...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »
I'm not being able to install this update.
I also downloaded it manually and can't apply.
I don't know if I'm lucky as the problems it brings or unlucky that have my Windows Updates broken.

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64.
The best things in life are free.

Offline R. Hansen

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2014, 10:01:01 PM »

That's great news. Thank you Avast team. How will we know when it is safe to install the Windows update? You seem to be saying Avast will automatically patch?

I have "Program" patching set to ask me if I want to patch, and "Virus Definitions" patching as automatic. Is it coming via the "Virus Definitions?"

Thanks for clarifying. I don't want to go through another System Restore.
Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.371) x64, 16 GB RAM, Core i5-4670, Nvidia GTX 1080 397.31 drivers, Avast 18.3.2333

REDACTED

« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2014, 10:01:51 PM »

You are going to need to boot into system recovery and restore from a restore point that occurred prior to the MS updates...  Then wait for the avast patch, then re-apply the MS updates...  I can confirm (two machines just got hit with this) that it isn't patched on the Avast side yet...

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2014, 10:02:01 PM »
I don't know if I'm lucky as the problems it brings or unlucky that have my Windows Updates broken.

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64.

You need to install all available updates. Then you'll be able to install KB3000850. I had the same problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64.

You need to install all available updates. Then you'll be able to install KB3000850. I had the same problem.
No. It does not work. I've installed the other two: Windows8.1-KB3014442-x64 and Windows8.1-KB3003057-x64.
The Windows8.1-KB3000850-x64 fails all the time.
The best things in life are free.

Offline KevTech

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »

You must install at least KB2919355 before trying to install KB3000850 but might as well install all of the updates as only KB3000850 was optional.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2014, 10:31:47 PM »

You must install at least KB2919355 before trying to install KB3000850 but might as well install all of the updates as only KB3000850 was optional.

Yes, I believe that is correct.
The KB2919355 (and Reboot) is the essential update requirement for the KB3000850 update to succeed

Edit: additional
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:40:31 PM by schmidthouse »

REDACTED

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »
What would be the best thing to do right now? Wait for the avast update or remove avast until it is fixed? Will both get rid off all problems completely do you think? I saw someone mention that his pc is "bricked".

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Why is it necessary to install an optional windows update?   ???

Offline RichardEb

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2014, 11:14:56 PM »
Why is it necessary to install an optional windows update?   ???

because....toƓ late to ignore the update^^

Offline petr.chytil

• Quality Assurance Director
  • Avast team
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:17 PM »
Can one of the Super Posters ping/PM the key Avast Team folks that review the Forum ?

Don't worry I've seen a couple of them already reading the thread. A minute ago petr.chytil was doing it.

Sorry for the late reply, even though we were aware of the issue, it took some time to find the root cause of the problem. As pk already described, we will release an EmUpdate as fast as possible.