Author Topic: Lastest Windows Update Problems  (Read 305181 times)

Offline Patrick2

• Poster
Re: Lastest Windows Update Problems
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:11 PM »
Problems with my PC remain

did a clean install of Windows 8.0, updated to 8.1, stayed on Windows Defender, did all the updates, had issues with the Kb300850 one still even then possibly, did  a Windows 8.1 Reset, and still having issues even without the update installed, and Avast installed,  Store apps corrupted, Windows app store not working right, but I guess I can fix those, or end up doing another clean install of Windows 8.0, then 8.1  (don't have 8.1 media, just store download)

Will Avast patch solve some of these issues?  should I wait before doing anymore repair?
Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 18363.476, Intel I7 7700 Nvidia Geforce 1050 16gb DDR4, WD 250GBSSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393
HP Omen Laptop Intel I7 7700HQ, 8gb Of Ram Windows 10 Home x64 1909 18363.476 128GB SSD, 1tb Storage, Avast Free 19.8.2393

REDACTED

« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2014, 12:02:48 AM »
We have been able to simulate the problem in our lab and I think we fixed this issue. This Windows updates calls new memory related functions which are not fully compatible with avast. We'll prepare EmUpdate with the patched driver tomorrow morning (it means, all & new avast installations should be patched immediately, that's how it works).

Thx....good news for W8.x and Avast v10/2015.
It does not seem to be a W7 issue but I wanted to ask since Avast is still supporting V9/2014....is there a need for program update there ?  .....for those reading this which may still have PCs on V9/2014 wanted to get confirmation no compatibility issues there ?

Also, Avast has been great about the Avastclear....been a real life saver for issues. Would you consider one step further ?
I have Avast and the [microsoft] update uninstalled now and while restarting and shutting down have been fixed I can still make no system level changes like installing or uninstalling.
NEEDED: Bootable Util (CD/USB) for Uninstall/Clear
Avast needs a util that will cleanly uninstall a locked-out/bricked machine.  AvastClear is AWESOME but that requires you to be able to get into Safe or Windows mode.  What happens if machines cannot get there ?  I fear as Avast gets more intrusive into O/S this can/will happen (this is small glimpse of what could happen). My suggestion is a util (ISO) that people can burn to CD (or USB stick) that is "bootable" so a user can boot to this program and brute force delete/uninstall ALL Avast remnants.  Avast does have "Rescue CD" but that is A/V removal type app. I hope Avast Team will consider/develop.....it would not be hard....maybe a days work by Avast developer.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:33:39 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »
I'm not being able to install this update.
I also downloaded it manually and can't apply.
I don't know if I'm lucky as the problems it brings or unlucky that have my Windows Updates broken.

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64.

you may want to read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

REDACTED

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2014, 12:10:42 AM »
I fixed the issue in Win 8.1 x64 by uninstalling Avast, then uninstalling the KB3000850 update.
After this, I did a reboot and installed Avast 2015 (had the 2014 version on) and everything is working as it should.

(I should also note, this was after the system stopped working correctly once I had done the November Windows Updates)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:12:56 AM by JackWarner »

REDACTED

« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:40 AM »
I fixed the issue in Win 8.1 x64 by uninstalling Avast, then uninstalling the KB3000850 update.
After this, I did a reboot and installed Avast 2015 (had the 2014 version on) and everything is working as it should.
(I should also note, this was after the system stopped working correctly once I had done the November Windows Updates)
But no KB30000850, correct ?

Plus, key point I think here........
The KB2919355 (and Reboot) is the essential update requirement for the KB3000850 update to succeed
.....PLUS the new installation package and/or EMU Update from Avast.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:16:30 AM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2014, 12:18:42 AM »
But no KB30000850, correct ?

Plus, key point I think here........
The KB2919355 (and Reboot) is the essential update requirement for the KB3000850 update to succeed
.....PLUS the new installation package and/or EMU Update from Avast.

That's right, I didn't put the KB3000850 update back on, and the Latest avast was from https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=159528.0

Offline LagunaJim

« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2014, 01:32:07 AM »
Can one of the Super Posters ping/PM the key Avast Team folks that review the Forum ?

Don't worry I've seen a couple of them already reading the thread. A minute ago petr.chytil was doing it.

Sorry for the late reply, even though we were aware of the issue, it took some time to find the root cause of the problem. As pk already described, we will release an EmUpdate as fast as possible.

Hi.  Please advise when Avast has been updated to resolve the conflict between it and Windows.  My system is working fine with the MS updates installed and Avast uninstalled.  Once you advise it is good to go I intend to download Avast and install from scratch -- so the install version will need to have your new patch implemented.

THANK YOU!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:38:14 AM by LagunaJim »

REDACTED

« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »
I would also like to know if I can install avast again.
Have delete Avast now because all the troubles i have if i keep it.

REDACTED

« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »

Thanks.  I'm weighing options.  Many things seem screwed up after installing KB3000850 with Avast (which I tried updating in the hope of correcting, but I got v. 10 2015, but not an emupdate patch yet apparently -- too early still, I guess).

My question, when you uninstalled Avast, did you just use the simple Windows basic uninstall procedure -- or did you do anything special to achieve a more complete uninstall?  Does it matter in this case?

Offline RichardEb

« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2014, 10:52:28 AM »
When is the patch ready?  Do I have to update soa server if the avast patch is ready?

REDACTED

« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2014, 11:38:59 AM »
WARNING.

I lost data files from my desktop folder during an uninstall.
Avast may be innocent - but it is a good candidate - see later.
I wish I had looked harder at rolling back KB3000850 instead.
Of course, YMMV.

I downloaded Avastclear to the desktop, expecting to need it.
I went to control panel and asked Windows 8.1 to uninstall Avast.
Of course, Windows failed to do the uninstall.
I asked Windows again for an uninstall.
I accepted the 'remove from list' prompt.
I rebooted into safe mode and ran Avastclear.
I specified Avast Free and accepted the other defaults.
Avastclear finished and I rebooted to get out of safe mode.

NOW FOR THE PROBLEM...

All the data files (XLS,CSV,TC, etc) on the desktop had gone.
All that remained were shortcuts, Avastclear.exe and a logs folder.

Avastclear.exe survived the problem - perhaps it was running at the time.
Logs folder survived the problem - perhaps created during/afterward.

The shortcuts (.lnk) survived and the creation dates are unchanged
perhaps the branch of 'Users' that contains them was not affected.

"C:\Program Files\AVAST Software" still exists - perhaps that is normal.

Disc checking and SFC found no problems.
Recuva found traces of many files - but not the missing ones.
I looked everywhere - deleted/not deleted/shadow copies/whole disc.
Whatever happened seems severe but only for the desktop folder.

This data loss was on a secondary PC - I am irked but not weepng.
I'm no saint and this is not my first rodeo but I do backup on my primary PCs.
BUT
Joe Average's primary PC could have a lot stored on his desktop.
Expecting him to do plenty of backups is completely unrealistic.
He might get hurt if this problem is repeated elswhere.

If I made a mistake somewhere then so might Joe Average.
I hope nobody at MS or Avast thinks that it is OK to have software
that clears the desktop without doing several layers of checking.
Surely this is a case when 'Are you sure' is really justified.

I have not tried to replicate the problem yet.
Maybe later, I should be at work.
A perfect repeat may not be possible.

If you beleve in coincidence then maybe it was that.
If Avast or Avastclear caused the loss I expect it will be fixed.

Enjoy ...
... Carefully.

P.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit (Fully updated up to/including KB3000850)
Avast 2015 (Fully updated on morning of 20 Nov 2014)
Acer W700P, i5, 4GB mem, 110GB, 30GB free, 1920x1080 panel.
Running on mains supply - no interruptions.

REDACTED

« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »
Any news on a patch yet?
I've got 6 machine on my bench waiting for this.
Thanks

Offline RichardEb

« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2014, 12:10:20 PM »
That`s awful. I`m having several PCs with Problems after the KB update and there are no informations about a Avast patch.

REDACTED

« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
Well only 3 minutes to wait, they did state a fix would be released this morning ;-)

REDACTED

« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »
I misunderstood what was being said here in the later posts, thought the problem was solved. Updated Avast 2015.10.0.2208 to latest defs, installed KB3000850 on Win8.1 Pro 64bit and experienced the problems everyone is complaining about. For what it's worth, after applying KB3000850 & restarting, I did get back into Windows but it was virtually unusable. Avast failed to load although according to Task Manager several of its bits & pieces were running. I went to uninstall it and got told it looked like it had already been uninstalled!  Rebooted to Safe Mode, ran Avastclear and uninstalled KB3000850. Phew! Everything works.

Clearly I have the choice to reinstall KB3000850 or reinstall Avast, but not both. I'm not sure which is more important so I've temporarily re-enabled Windows Defender while I wallow in confusion.

Since KB3000850 is optional, it won't present a problem to the vast majority of Avast users - it won't be part of any automatic Windows Update. However to those who look at optional updates it's a real problem. Maybe Avast could put up a 'sticky' post when the problem is definitively resolved?