Author Topic: Lastest Windows Update Problems  (Read 306736 times)

Offline Radeon123

Re: Lastest Windows Update Problems
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2014, 11:04:46 PM »
The file has still not been updated, whether I reboot, run the emergency update via the task scheduler or from the Avast folder. This is for Avast Antivirus Pro running in Windows 8.1 and the Free Antivirus running Windows 8.1 in VMware.

Can't you just post the new .sys file so we can replace it manually.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:07:31 PM by Radeon123 »

Offline EdiTL

« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2014, 11:09:38 PM »
Is there any option to downgrade to 2014? My windows 8.1 Pro worked without problems with 2014.

However, last update I have done over Avast and do not have installation file.

Are there any official link to previous version from where I can download offline version?

My opinion is that is better to have older version than not to have it at all.

REDACTED

« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2014, 11:38:42 PM »
The "update" does not work at all.
Tried the following:

1. Logoff/Logon - wait for 30 minutes -- still file version 10.0.2208.712
2. Reboot -- no changes
3. Run AvastEmUpdate.exe manually alone and with a combination of parameters (/check /installer /updater /update) - tried one by one -- no changes
4. Run "repair" option of Avast -- no changes
5. Uninstall Avast completly - Reboot - Download online installer from avast-website/cnet - Install - Reboot -- STILL NO CHANGES!

I don't know what to do next... File version is still 10.0.2208.712

So, there is still no update available!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:40:20 PM by razko »

REDACTED

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2014, 11:39:51 PM »
I have had the same problem (and just lost 3 days of work troubleshooting and performing system restore operations).  The symptoms are: system fails to reboot/shutdown, some software and Windows services (e.g. Task Manager) fail to load, and Avast fails to appear in system tray.  System will hang doing basic operations, and is basically rendered useless. 

As far as I can tell Avast (I have the free version) is definitely involved in a conflict with KB3000850, but I also installed Spybot 2.4 and the latest version of Trusteer Rapport Endpoint Protection and I believe it may be some combination of these software packages running under this particular Windows Update.  I was running all of these software packages prior to the update with no problems.  However, once I installed the update the system had major issues.  I was able to run Avast with the update by itself but the problem cropped up when I installed Spybot.  I uninstalled Avast in Safe Mode and the problem went away.

A tech support rep from Avast told me the problem was probably the result of running multiple anti-malware programs (i.e. Avast free and Spybot) but the free version of Avast is not a full featured anti-malware program and it's common to run anti-malware software (e.g. Windows Defender or something else) alongside it.

Offline benad

« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2014, 11:45:25 PM »
Any way to get or install the patch 10.0.2208.722 manually?  My machine has been unusable for a few days at this point, and manually checking for program updates doesn't find anything (release date November 7).

REDACTED

« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
Microsoft support ended up doing a clean Windows 8.1 install on my affected system , which is my test computer. On my wife's AIO, which had none of the mentioned problems, I uninstalled Avast  and turned on Defender until this gets all sorted out just as a precaution. All my other systems are Windows 7 and I have had no problems with them.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2014, 12:04:29 AM »
Any way to get or install the patch 10.0.2208.722 manually?  My machine has been unusable for a few days at this point, and manually checking for program updates doesn't find anything (release date November 7).

I received 19 windows updates on Nov. 11 and 1 on Nov. 19.  I didn't install KB3011780 since it was and still is optional.

REDACTED

« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2014, 12:16:09 AM »
Is there any option to downgrade to 2014? My windows 8.1 Pro worked without problems with 2014.

However, last update I have done over Avast and do not have installation file.

Are there any official link to previous version from where I can download offline version?

My opinion is that is better to have older version than not to have it at all.

You can download Avast 2014 here: http://netload.in/dateiuTphWtgT5b/avast_free_antivirus_setup_9_0_2021.exe.htm

Offline benad

« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »

I received 19 windows updates on Nov. 11 and 1 on Nov. 19.  I didn't install KB3011780 since it was and still is optional.

And what is your point? Each time I attempted to uninstall KB3000850 (which is the one causing the issue), there's a Windows error that uninstallation failed, and I can't even open "Programs and Features" anymore. Sure, I installed an optional patch, but now I can't uninstall it anything.

REDACTED

« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2014, 12:31:49 AM »
Hi guys, if you want to force your machines to apply the patch sooner, you can sign-out and then sign in again into Windows. The Emergency updating task will get started shortly after sign on.

To verify the patch has been already applied, you can check the version info of aswsnx.sys driver (inside C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ folder).

The patched one has:
File Version: 10.0.2208.722

AVAST, you did it!
Congratulations!

The update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000850)
now installed and rebooted without any problem and delays.

I did reboot and restart PC several times - all programms in startup starts normally
AVAST works without issue too and no problem and errors in event log
(before I had to press shoutdown power button and several programs didn't start after...).

Thank you for your business!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:32:44 AM by ArMay »

REDACTED

« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2014, 12:35:14 AM »
The best method that I have found to get your computer usable again is to download avastclear.exe.  It will perform an uninstall of Avast which then allows the computer to work. 

1) Search for and download Avastclear.exe
2) Run Avastclear and tell it "Yes" to let it uninstall in safe mode and then "Yes" to reboot.
3) If the computer won't shutdown, then power off by holding the power button down until it cuts off.
4) Turn it back on.  It probably will not go into safe mode, but it will launch the uninstaller before anything else loads which allows it to uninstall Avast.
5) Restart when it is finished. 

Offline R. Hansen

« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2014, 12:45:12 AM »
Hi guys, if you want to force your machines to apply the patch sooner, you can sign-out and then sign in again into Windows. The Emergency updating task will get started shortly after sign on.

To verify the patch has been already applied, you can check the version info of aswsnx.sys driver (inside C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ folder).

The patched one has:

Logged out, logged in. Nothing happens. Still reports 1.0.2208.712. Is there a download that I can apply? Do I need to reboot? I am in Chicago, USA.
Windows 10 Pro 1709 (16299.371) x64, 16 GB RAM, Core i5-4670, Nvidia GTX 1080 397.31 drivers, Avast 18.3.2333

REDACTED

« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2014, 01:23:37 AM »
Logged out, logged in. Nothing happens. Still reports 1.0.2208.712

WHAT still reports the version number?

Did you do right-click, Properties on the specific file named?

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\aswsnx.sys

-Noel

REDACTED

« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2014, 02:13:08 AM »
I had problems getting aswsnx.sys to update to 10.0.0020.772 on Windows 7 computers despite several restarts. Finally did it by running a Repair. Having found that it was available I did a clean install of Avast 2015 on Windows 8.1. It installed the update and is working fine with KB3000850.

Relief!

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2014, 02:16:39 AM »

The patched one has:

Logged out 3 times, logged back in 3 times but nothing happened.  So what should I do next?