Author Topic: Lastest Windows Update Problems  (Read 305209 times)

REDACTED

Re: Lastest Windows Update Problems
« Reply #270 on: November 24, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »
Avast has now fixed that problem. 

Not exactly...  Avast has now fixed that problem for v10 clients...  Unfortunately the business product is still using the v8 client so there are quite a few of us without a working solution.

It would be nice to at least hear that it's being worked on the the Business side.  This has been an almost nightmare scenario, we are uninstalling this KB update from almost every machine in our building.  Not fun. I remember last year (about this time) the update needed for Avast to work on Windows 8.1 was delayed until January.  Hopefully that is not the case again.  :(

REDACTED

« Reply #271 on: November 24, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:10:50 PM by zorgon »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »
@zorgon.........Now I'm really afraid to install it.

REDACTED

« Reply #273 on: November 24, 2014, 09:54:06 PM »
Well, it looks the the issue is getting some unwanted publicity

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/24/you_stupid_brick_pcs_running_avast_av_cant_handle_windows_fixes/

Been repeatedly asking Avast to develop something like this.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160717.msg1154359#msg1154359
"If" they did then Users could easily remove Avast despite state of machine and be back up running.
These issues blow out of proportion because while Avast is investigating people's PCs are in trouble.
I know Avast in their mind quickly responds.....especially when they have to ID the conflict, write code fix and test, BUT in users minds things are slow while they are understandably panicked about their PCs.  Having this would sure help their cause and the community.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:56:08 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
@zorgon.........Now I'm really afraid to install it.

Have all updates installed on my computer and laptop.
And also the big one.
No problems found here and all systems are fast and 100% working.

Only  thing i am missing is Avast.
Not sure if i install it now ( little afraid to install avast now as all things are running good ).

REDACTED

« Reply #275 on: November 25, 2014, 12:01:38 AM »
Haven't read the entire thread. I feel sorry for all having problems. But just wanted to say all MS updates installed and absolutely no computer problems using Bitdefender Free.

REDACTED

« Reply #276 on: November 25, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »
Well, it looks the the issue is getting some unwanted publicity

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/24/you_stupid_brick_pcs_running_avast_av_cant_handle_windows_fixes/

Been repeatedly asking Avast to develop something like this.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160717.msg1154359#msg1154359
"If" they did then Users could easily remove Avast despite state of machine and be back up running.
These issues blow out of proportion because while Avast is investigating people's PCs are in trouble.
I know Avast in their mind quickly responds.....especially when they have to ID the conflict, write code fix and test, BUT in users minds things are slow while they are understandably panicked about their PCs.  Having this would sure help their cause and the community.

I agree 100% with you. It doesn't seem like it would take that much to create a bootable uninstall disk with a script to delete the avast registry entries required to boot the computer. Personally, I'm getting to the point where I am going to say to hell with it, install linux and be done with it. I've got Ubuntu on one computer and it does everything I require of a computer.

REDACTED

« Reply #277 on: November 25, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »
Haven't read the entire thread. I feel sorry for all having problems. But just wanted to say all MS updates installed and absolutely no computer problems using Bitdefender Free.

My son has Bitdefender Free on his computer. That truly is a install and forget AV. Not sure how good it is but he hasn't been infected with anything yet. I understand that it is kind of abandonware though. The virus database is updated but there hasn't been a new version in quite awhile.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #278 on: November 25, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »
Hello everyone,
As you know, we have released a micro Update patching avast9 and avast10 (aka avast 2015) installations. For these versions we believe the problem should be gone now, and you are safe to install KB3000850.

We are also working on a fix for older versions, however since we have implemented the micro updating mechanism only in avast version 9 and 10, we couldn't use the same pathes. For avast8 there is also an option how to deliver the update (emergency Update), but that requires more work and testing.

As far as I know, the update is already ready and is now in the QA labs for testings. As soon as it'll be verified, which should be soon, hopefully today, it'll also be released for both Avast8 Consumer and Avast8 Business editions.

Sorry for this, I know this has caused a lot of troubles for many of you. Even though we do test windows updates regulary and automatically, this scenario - shutting down the PC and restarting was not sufficiently covered.

Lukas.

REDACTED

« Reply #279 on: November 25, 2014, 02:45:21 PM »
Hello everyone,
As you know, we have released a micro Update patching avast9 and avast10 (aka avast 2015) installations. For these versions we believe the problem should be gone now, and you are safe to install KB3000850.

We are also working on a fix for older versions, however since we have implemented the micro updating mechanism only in avast version 9 and 10, we couldn't use the same pathes. For avast8 there is also an option how to deliver the update (emergency Update), but that requires more work and testing.

As far as I know, the update is already ready and is now in the QA labs for testings. As soon as it'll be verified, which should be soon, hopefully today, it'll also be released for both Avast8 Consumer and Avast8 Business editions.

Sorry for this, I know this has caused a lot of troubles for many of you. Even though we do test windows updates regulary and automatically, this scenario - shutting down the PC and restarting was not sufficiently covered.

Lukas.

Lukas, thx for the post.....this is first time I've seen the issue affects older versions.
Can you outline how to tell if Avast 9 has been updated ? .......ala some file to check version/etc.
Example: aswsnx.sys 10.0.2208.722 from 10.0.2208.712
Windows>System32>Drivers, click that folder and scroll/look for aswsnx.sys and hover your mouse over the file.
A box should pop up and show the version number and time and date it was last modified.

Looking at my W7 64bit 2014/V9 installs the file aswsnx.sys version is 9.0.2021.539 ....creation date 10/22/15.
Thus, I do not think this is updated (because of date) but not sure if the EMU-Update did not succeed (it does show that is runs twice daily in W7 Task Scheduler) or that since it is W7 it was not necessary ?

Since KB3000850 is for Windows 8.....does this apply to W7 2014/V9 installs ?

Also, since the installer is no longer available the last formal release is 2014.9.0.2021.....will you update the installer and provide it for a period of time to make sure those who need it can do a clean un/re-install ?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:01:23 PM by thekochs »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #280 on: November 25, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »
Hello everyone,

Lukas.

Lukas, can you officially inform about this patch? Now I need to uninstall Avast completely. I suppose that if I download the new version it will be already patched. Am I right?
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #281 on: November 25, 2014, 03:48:36 PM »
Hi, the patched (correct) versions are:

Avast 10:
aswsnx.sys, ver. 10.0.2208.722
(x86: 787800 bytes, x64: 1050432 bytes)

Avast 9:
aswsnx.sys, ver. 9.0.2021.539
(x86: 779536 bytes, x64: 1041168 bytes)

KB3000850 update was for Windows 8.1 only, no problems related to this on other OS's (such as Win8, Win7 etc).
We are applying the patch on all systems (even on Win7), you never know when you'll update the OS, or when the other system also receives the breaking change (unlikely) via its update.

The update is included (online) in the normal (clean) installation on both Avast 2014 (9), and Avast 2015 (10). All the updates are downloaded and applied before the drivers are first loaded. For this reason I don't believe and updated (offline) installer of avast9 is really needed. I'll check it with Release Engeneering team.

Lukas.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #282 on: November 25, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »
Would it be best to uninstall Avast before installing this big windows update?

REDACTED

« Reply #283 on: November 25, 2014, 04:10:49 PM »
@ -midnight

I have Avast removed from my system.
I advise you to remove avast completely, and do a complete new installation.
When avast was on my system i couldt not reboot etc etc.
Later today i re-install avast back onto my system  :D

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #284 on: November 25, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
@johhyvang...........If I uninstall Avast I won't have any A/V protection.  I honestly don't know what I should do.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:29:09 PM by -midnight »