Author Topic: Lastest Windows Update Problems  (Read 305207 times)

REDACTED

Re: Lastest Windows Update Problems
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:35 PM »
To update to aswsnx.sys ver. 10.0.2208.722 I had to uninstall (with help from aswclear.exe and safe mode) and reinstall.

Windows 8.1 64-bit.

REDACTED

« Reply #301 on: November 25, 2014, 10:37:02 PM »
Yep, i did this in a different order.
  • Installed Windows Updates
  • Updated Avast

Then i noticed the PC wouldn't shutdown anymore.. it would stay there saying "Shutting down..." i went to get dumps so i could debug but windows didnt think there was a problem so it didn't generate any. i ended up having to rebuild the entire system- which worked, basicly i installed Windows 8.1, Updated to Full, THEN installed Avast and all was well.

Reminds me of the McAfee days when they BSOD all XP machines that got a certain update or when Early Norton Enterprise would destroy File-server Shares and Strip ACL's during scans, I'm still going to use Avast- i don't see any AV company out there with a pure track record of system stability so i'm not upset about this- sure was a pain to rebuild the Gaming PC/Dev Workstation (Especially with how many Visual Studio extensions i use) but thats life, if i had a dollar for every bug in one of my apps then i would be able to life off pizza for a year at least...

REDACTED

« Reply #302 on: November 25, 2014, 11:03:21 PM »
Reminds me of the McAfee days when they BSOD all XP machines that got a certain update or when Early Norton Enterprise would destroy File-server Shares and Strip ACL's during scans

AVG did the same thing awhile back.....bricked thousands and thousands of peoples PCs....I lived thru it....very ugly times.
This is why I keep asking for this from Avast: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=160717.msg1154359#msg1154359
Bootable Util (CD/USB) for Uninstall/Clear
Avast needs a util that will cleanly uninstall a locked-out/bricked machine.  I know there is AvastClear (which is AWESOME) but that requires you to be able to get into Safe or Windows mode.  What happens if machines cannot get there ?  I fear as Avast gets more intrusive into O/S this can/will happen. My suggestion is a Avast Util (ISO) that people can burn to CD (or USB stick) that is "bootable" so a user can boot from the CD/USB to this program and the util would scan and brute force delete/uninstall ALL Avast remnants.  Avast does have Rescue CD but that is A/V removal type app.  I hope Avast Team will consider and develop.....it would not be hard....maybe a day or two work by Avast developer.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:05:41 PM by thekochs »

Offline Hyncharas

« Reply #303 on: November 26, 2014, 03:07:20 AM »
Unfortunately Microsoft hasn't made things easy for itself in the past month.  Five updates have been so bad they were all removed from Windows Update because they broke a lot of people's computers.  These updates are the following:

KB3000061
KB2984972
KB2949927
KB2995388
KB2952664

If you have one or more of these, I strongly recommend you remove them as, although it depends on what software you use, they come with terrible effects no matter which version of Windows you happen to have.

You need KB2011780 as it is designed to solve vulnerabilities where someone can hack your computer; if you use XP, however, you should not use it as it sometimes stops you connecting from the Internet.  As for KB3011850, there is currently a system conflict if you happen to use Avast AV and install the update, so it might be best to wait until Microsoft sort themselves out.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:18:19 AM by Hyncharas »

REDACTED

« Reply #304 on: November 26, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »
Unfortunately Microsoft hasn't made things easy for itself in the past month.  Five updates have been so bad they were all removed from Windows Update because they broke a lot of people's computers.  These updates are the following:

KB3000061
KB2984972
KB2949927
KB2995388
KB2952664

Wow !.......scary info..........
Articles on subject
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2834535/security/four-more-botched-black-tuesday-patches-kb-3000061-kb-2984972-kb-2949927-and-kb-2995388.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2835571/microsoft-windows/microsoft-says-best-way-to-fix-botched-kb-2949927-patch-is-to-kill-it.html
However, I've seen nothing where "MS says" to uninstall these KBs if you had a successful update
Example: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2949927
.....only references by others in these articles to do so......can you post a link on MS's comment/guidance on this ?
I did find an interesting note for future reference in that if a patch fails and Startup Repair does not fix you can go to DOS Command....say via a Windows Repair CD....and at Command Prompt, type the following command, assuming that C: is your Windows partition. If Windows in not installed on drive C, replace C: with the correct drive letter:
DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

I also wanted to add for those reading on a good FYI/trick for SFC /SCANNOW fix to a MS Update that corrupts with BSOD on boot.
This is files that need to be removed (in this case moved) to allow things to proceed
http://johnmaguire.me/post/64092627596/forcing-sfc-scannow-in-windows-7-startup-repair
C:\Windows\WinSXS\pending.xml
C:\Windows\WinSXS\reboot.xml

You need KB2011780 as it is designed to solve vulnerabilities where someone can hack your computer; if you use XP, however, you should not use it as it sometimes stops you connecting from the Internet.
I think typo.....you mean KB3011780

As for KB3011850, there is currently a system conflict if you happen to use Avast AV and install the update, so it might be best to wait until Microsoft sort themselves out.
I think that is the subject of most of this thread and the patch Avast has done to Avast 9 (2014) & Avast 10 (2015).

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:22:44 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #305 on: November 26, 2014, 05:51:17 AM »
I have a number of Win 8.1 systems here at my business all up to date, and no Windows Updates have caused any problems, except for just one that had a momentary blip - the test virtual machine running Avast on which I tested KB3000850.  It's been 100% fine since the fix.

A lot of people in general have screwed up computers.  Who knows what junkware they have installed on them, and the people themselves actively screw them up - a great example is that many people seem to feel they need to use "cleaner" applications that indiscriminately delete things, as though operating systems need to be "cleaned". 

Then when critical data is missing and a Microsoft Update fails, who do they blame?

Unfortunately, the mess that is personal computing today is so widespread that most companies now often take an approach where they try to discount reported problems as trouble caused by individuals rather than problems with their software.  When they really do have product problems they tend not to get right to them until it's made painfully obvious by mass complaints.

Note that this very discussion has turned to Microsoft breaking things, yet why was the thread started?  If Avast was doing something questionable in their software and Microsoft changed the OS - without breaking the documented rules of their APIs - who's really at fault?

Nobody's perfect, but Microsoft gets it right more often than they're given credit for.

-Noel

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #306 on: November 26, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »
I've decided not to install this big windows update until, and if it shows up as important.  I've been following the topic on the Microsoft Community Forum and so many people have major problems trying to install this particular update. 

REDACTED

« Reply #307 on: November 26, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
I have a number of Win 8.1 systems here at my business all up to date, and no Windows Updates have caused any problems, except for just one that had a momentary blip - the test virtual machine running Avast on which I tested KB3000850.  It's been 100% fine since the fix.

A lot of people in general have screwed up computers.  Who knows what junkware they have installed on them, and the people themselves actively screw them up - a great example is that many people seem to feel they need to use "cleaner" applications that indiscriminately delete things, as though operating systems need to be "cleaned". 

Then when critical data is missing and a Microsoft Update fails, who do they blame?

Unfortunately, the mess that is personal computing today is so widespread that most companies now often take an approach where they try to discount reported problems as trouble caused by individuals rather than problems with their software.  When they really do have product problems they tend not to get right to them until it's made painfully obvious by mass complaints.

Note that this very discussion has turned to Microsoft breaking things, yet why was the thread started?  If Avast was doing something questionable in their software and Microsoft changed the OS - without breaking the documented rules of their APIs - who's really at fault?

Nobody's perfect, but Microsoft gets it right more often than they're given credit for.

-Noel
100% agree on the cleaner or optimizer programs. Absolutely no need to run those. They cause more problems than they solve. Case in point. Grimefighter.   How many people have bricked their systems because of so-called optimizers? Too many to count.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #308 on: November 26, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »
Xfinity is my ISP so I can get Norton Security at no cost so after having had so many problems with Avast and this big update I think I might just uninstall Avast in a few weeks and switch to Norton for awhile.  Will probably start using Avast again once I'm sure these issues between Avast and Microsoft have been resolved.  I really do like Avast though and I've been using it for several years.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:01:51 AM by Midnight »

Offline KevTech

« Reply #309 on: November 27, 2014, 04:12:43 AM »
Xfinity is my ISP so I can get Norton Security at no cost

I have Comcast as well and tried NSS but did not like the fact that it will remove any file it feels is a threat without telling you.

Had one file that I knew was a false positive and NSS would not let me restore the file no matter what I tried to do.

You can not change this behavior but it may fit your needs.

That is one of the reasons I like Avast as it will let the user decide what to do should you set it up that way.

REDACTED

« Reply #310 on: November 27, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »
Create a new administrator type account or enable your built-in administrator account. Login to this account to let the admin user's profile get created. Now Logoff from the admin account and login to your account which has the Apps not opening problem. You will find that all Apps have started working.
Another way is to grant FULL CONTROL TO "ALLAPPLICATIONPACKAGES" on the following folder c:\program files\WindowsApps
For this your account may has to be made as owner of the WindowsApps folder.

The above worked in my case. Faced similar problem after KB3000850.

REDACTED

« Reply #311 on: November 27, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
I uninstalled Avast and run the cleaner tool in safe mode and installed the update,everything is working fine.  :o

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #312 on: November 27, 2014, 06:41:07 PM »
I'm not going to risk bricking my computer again so won't be installing that big windows update.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #313 on: November 27, 2014, 06:45:23 PM »
I'm not going to risk bricking my computer again so won't be installing that big windows update.
You already told us that on the last page.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #314 on: November 27, 2014, 06:55:28 PM »
And a new forum name again ...... how many is it now?

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=161578.0

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:57:19 PM by Pondus »