Author Topic: Lastest Windows Update Problems  (Read 305200 times)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Lastest Windows Update Problems
« Reply #315 on: November 27, 2014, 07:02:22 PM »
I'm not going to risk bricking my computer again so won't be installing that big windows update.
You already told us that on the last page.

And the page before that. ;D

REDACTED

« Reply #316 on: November 28, 2014, 02:00:36 AM »
I've been having similar problems except with Windows 7.

If I do a Clean Un/Re-install of Avast will that resolve my issues? I refuse to install these updates, or any future "x64" updates anymore after this but will a Clean Un/Re-install of Avast solve my problem?

If so, can I run the Avast Clear uninstall tool regularly or do I have to run it in safe mode?

I'd really appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

REDACTED

« Reply #317 on: November 28, 2014, 05:55:00 AM »
I've been having similar problems except with Windows 7.

... I refuse to install these updates, or any future "x64" updates anymore after this....

This problem with MSU is specifically with Windows 8.1 and KB3000850 and no other OS

... will a Clean Un/Re-install of Avast solve my problem?...

Yes, it might. Also just a reboot of the system might solve many problems.

... can I run the Avast Clear uninstall tool regularly or do I have to run it in safe mode?

avastclear.exe should be run after you have uninstall Avast the normal way through Windows unsinstall programs, and when/if this procedure fails to do so. You can run it in normal way, but it is not recommended. see image

The tool will start your system in Safe mode automatically when executed.

How to run Avast tool: http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB10#idt_02

REDACTED

« Reply #318 on: November 28, 2014, 06:10:10 AM »
Updated just now to latest avast.
After rebooting, my HD started to make a lot of noise sounding like it was being totally trashed, and on my side gadget monitors i noticed that it was being written and read at same rate (mb/s), despite having just restarted the system after avast update, the "perfmon" tool showed it was svchost trashing it, so i rushed to the windows update "nov 2014" hoping it would help, restarted the system but the HD was still being trashed, so i then i came to this forum and now my HD just got back to idle/regular mode, tried to open some programs and all seems responsive, but i gotta admit i feared for the HD for a while. the whole process till it got back to normal took about 10/15 minutes (at least it looked like that, but i was panicking...)

relevant specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
SAMSUNG HD753LJ 1TB

also have an external HD (WD Elements 1078 USB) but it wasn't affected by the issue
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:12:01 AM by anarcoi77 »

REDACTED

« Reply #319 on: November 28, 2014, 06:34:55 AM »
Hi anarcoi77. Welcome to Avast Forums

Nothing to do with Windows Updates.

Updated just now to latest avast...

Most probably Avast installing and preparing NG invironment. It takes a few minutes to do so and it takes some RAM and CPU doing it.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=154857.msg1125734#msg1125734

REDACTED

« Reply #320 on: November 28, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
UPDATE: Sorry did not see @iroc9555 answered already.....my bad.

Updated just now to latest avast.
After rebooting, my HD started to make a lot of noise sounding like it was being totally trashed, and on my side gadget monitors i noticed that it was being written and read at same rate (mb/s), despite having just restarted the system after avast update, the "perfmon" tool showed it was svchost trashing it, so i rushed to the windows update "nov 2014" hoping it would help, restarted the system but the HD was still being trashed, so i then i came to this forum and now my HD just got back to idle/regular mode, tried to open some programs and all seems responsive, but i gotta admit i feared for the HD for a while. the whole process till it got back to normal took about 10/15 minutes (at least it looked like that, but i was panicking...)

relevant specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
SAMSUNG HD753LJ 1TB

also have an external HD (WD Elements 1078 USB) but it wasn't affected by the issue

My guess is that you installed the "NG" option in TOOLS section of installer.....it takes a lot of horsepower from PC...especially initially.  A lot of posts on NG and the benefits and troubles people have had with it.  However, the concept for AV protection is very leading edge.......a very good description on this post from Avast Team: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=154857.msg1125734#msg1125734   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:09:27 PM by thekochs »

REDACTED

« Reply #321 on: November 28, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
Someone has updated Windows 8.1 with KB3000850 after installing last Avasts update, but without previously uninstalling
Avast?  Could he (or she) comments the results of the experience? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #322 on: November 28, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
Someone has updated Windows 8.1 with KB3000850 after installing last Avasts update, but without previously uninstalling
Avast?  Could he (or she) comments the results of the experience? 
Does Avast release an update?
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
Avast released last week a small patch to solve the conflict between Avast 2015 , windows 8.1 and the windows update KB3000850

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #324 on: November 28, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
Avast released last week a small patch to solve the conflict between Avast 2015 , windows 8.1 and the windows update KB3000850
Thanks. I've tested it, but it was not enough...
The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #325 on: November 28, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
Did you pre-install the two other KBs that I mentioned a few score pages back

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #326 on: November 28, 2014, 11:02:21 PM »
I have both installed but I'm not going to install the big one.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:00:05 PM by -midnight »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #327 on: November 29, 2014, 07:26:28 AM »
I have both installed but I'm still afraid to install the big one.
Your workaround to installing is to create a disk image of your system before you install the "big one".  If disaster strikes again, you'll be able to restore your system exactly as it was before you did this.  Restoring a clean disk image will take only minutes vs. the hours you spent doing it the hard way.

Plus, if you do have to restore the good image to disk, your system will never know it saw the problematic update; it never existed.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #328 on: November 29, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
I have both installed but I'm still afraid to install the big one.
So you keep telling us ::) you mentioned in one of your replies that this thread wasn't about you yet you have somewhere in the range of 50 posts in this thread alone so clearly you are trying to make it about you.

Follow mchain's instructions to make an image first then install the windows update, search the net for instructions "if you need them" on how to make an image for your system.

REDACTED

« Reply #329 on: November 29, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
Thanks. I've tested it, but it was not enough...
What do you mean with "it was not enough..."?