Author Topic: Avast 2015 freezes machine on start up, Win XP  (Read 4797 times)

REDACTED

Avast 2015 freezes machine on start up, Win XP
« on: November 05, 2014, 02:43:39 AM »
As the title says. I deinstalled everything and my machine started behaving normally again. I checked my machine using both CCleaner and WiseCare 365 and everything was fine. Then the moment I reinstalled Avast 2015, the freeze on restart reoccured.

Of note : immediately after installation, eveything works fine. The problem happens after reboot.

What happens : WinXP boots all fine, the desktop appears as well as the Start bar. The Start button even appears functionnal, but nothing is launchable. The Avast icon in the corner appears, but never spins.

When I attempt to turn Windows off, the logoff process hangs with the desktop image and stays there forever.

Can I get Avast 2014 back ?

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Avast 2015 freezes machine on start up, Win XP
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 04:55:34 AM »
What previous antivirus software did your computer have? Have you used it's uninstaller/removal tool in safe mode? If you haven't done that, do that.

Before you do the above! Uninstall avast 2015 via add/remove and follow the instructions. After that download the avast uninstall utility in normal mode and run it and click yes. The tool will run your computer in safe mode automatically and follow the instructions. After that download Avast 2015 again. It will run a quick startup scan. After that restart your computer manually!

Hope that helps!
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:53:48 AM »
Hi mine is working fine. Which service pack you are using ?? Follow what Staticguy said Uninstall avast 2015 then Download Avast 2015 but before installing it run sfc /scannow from command prompt it will check system file and fix (If any thing wrong) then run installation.   

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
I was using Avast 2014, and 2013 before that !

As I said, I de-installed everything and it worked OK again, then the freezing reoccurred when I installed Avast 2015.

My XP/Avast was working perfectly before I attempted to update to 2015.

The first time I update in-place. The second time I updated after removing the universal Avast Remover downloaded from this site. Same result.

For now I'm using my computer using a competitor's AV.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 09:55:13 PM »
As the title says. I deinstalled everything and my machine started behaving normally again. I checked my machine using both CCleaner and WiseCare 365 and everything was fine. Then the moment I reinstalled Avast 2015, the freeze on restart reoccured.

Of note : immediately after installation, eveything works fine. The problem happens after reboot.

What happens : WinXP boots all fine, the desktop appears as well as the Start bar. The Start button even appears functionnal, but nothing is launchable. The Avast icon in the corner appears, but never spins.

When I attempt to turn Windows off, the logoff process hangs with the desktop image and stays there forever.

Can I get Avast 2014 back ?

I will add I have had no issues with Avast Premier 2015 on XPSP4 32 Bit and I upgraded from 2014 via GUI.
All is Running smooth.
If I were you, you might want to consider re-doing the whole "CLean Install" process.
 Run the most recent Avast.clear tool. http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe
Mind you, now you will have the chore of TOTALLY Removing the Remnants of the AV you are now using before attempting to do a Clean Install of Avast. I would personally run the Avast.clear tool before attempting any install of Avast 2015.
Some hassle but sometimes we can initiate a process and it doesn't take, so you do it again just in case. :)

There is no issue to reinstall Avast 2014 if that's your choice.

Edit : added
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:06:43 PM by schmidthouse »

REDACTED

Re: Avast 2015 freezes machine on start up
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »

I've had this happen on two laptops just after formatting and reinstalling Windows!  One is a Vista machine the other Windows 7.  Bummer!

I also installed K9 Web Protection.