Author Topic: So long Avast, and thanks for all the fish!  (Read 19481 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: So long Avast, and thanks for all the fish!
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 01:32:46 AM »
Hi zorgon,

Just fact-less assumptions and speculation on your part. I think it would be a very unwise step to disable any custom install. Also they haven't got that much of a monopoly position to try and do that either. Google already has lost default position inside firefox as a result of such policy.
Who needs Grimefighter when you need the paid version to have any full functionality? There are certain circumstances that parts of the av solution should be disabled (false detection of vital OS files, a wrong critical update etc.). It would be a sad day when marketing demands would dictate where development is to go and making "cheap money" on sponsored tool bundling a higher priority as a dwindling user base. I cannot imagine that avast decision makers are/were about to shoot themselves in the foot big time. I think recent developments have to be "eased out and tested" to create another swing upwards of the program. Avast is just suffering from some growing pain and some bit of bare leg is showing. Everything will be OK. ;D

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

REDACTED

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2014, 03:08:34 AM »
Polonus, as recently as early this year I was not seeing much burden from Avast.

Every Windows Update cycle I do benchmarking.  This past spring my software build times were around 30 seconds (yes, I actually do have careful notes). 

Based on the ongoing measurements specifically showing a build time of 31.37 seconds (with Avast on) as recently as May, 2014, and based on subsequent times getting longer it looks as though the slowing down began after that time and may have been gradual.  I show a time of 36 seconds in July, and one of 52 seconds in September 2014.  I measured other slowdowns as well, as I do a whole suite of tests - for example loading and saving of large Photoshop files.  For example, times for saving a large test file more or less steadily has increased from 19.8 seconds to a high of 27.6 seconds.  Gladly, that time is now back to the best I've seen all year (just now measured at 19.0 seconds).

You might be tempted to blame my computer system, but I assure you it's not slowing down (hint: I'm not exactly new at Windows system management).  The proof ultimately comes from the fact that all the operations I've found to be slowing down badly have returned to nominal levels (or better) after the removal of Avast.

Because I'm not quick to jump to conclusions, earlier today I reinstalled Avast and verified the updated driver, and wouldn't you know it - all the times got worse again.  Upon re-removing Avast all times are nominal again.

And I'll reiterate - Avast beat the performance of Windows Defender as of about 12 months ago, when I first set up Windows 8.1.  Now it's not even coming close.

As far as the rest of the things I listed go...  If you're trying to say that Avast didn't have a problem with KB3000850 over the past few days then you're losing all credibility.  Hint:  Avast themselves released a patch that makes it work again!

Beyond that, I've been doing software engineering for 38 years.   What I've written in this thread is not said lightly and I actually DO have the data to back it up.

Hey, don't even consider believing me - get out your stopwatch and do your own comparative tests.

-Noel
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:18:35 AM by NoelC »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »
How many users actually perform compiling operations with avast! ? A very small percentage. And for MSE being better, maybe in this particular exact case, but seeing how MSE slowed down my 4GHz quad core with 18GB of RAM and HDD+SSD hybrid system was just ridiculous. As soon as i've disabled and installed avast!, it was smooth as molten butter.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2014, 08:24:20 AM »
 It would be a sad day when marketing demands would dictate where development is to go and making "cheap money" on sponsored tool bundling a higher priority as a dwindling user base.

Are you sure about this? It seems like this is exactly where Avast is heading, not just Avast but most corporations. The almighty dollar is all the bigwigs care about, users/consumers/customers be dammed. See it everyday.