Author Topic: What Providers Should Be Running?  (Read 5800 times)

MrPine

What Providers Should Be Running?
« on: August 31, 2005, 03:54:19 AM »
I've just installed Avast Server in demo mode to a Win2K server and notice that the only provider running is Standard Shield. Is this normal? All the Avast Pro editions on my workstations have 6 providers running. What's going on with server?
On another note...the installation of server in demo mode is still buggy with the licence file being reported as invalid unless you change local time to GMT before the install. Surely this should have been fixed a long time ago as I found the fix for it in a post from months back.

kwg

Re: What Providers Should Be Running?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 06:23:13 AM »
I purchased the SBS2003 Premium version of avast!, which includes these components:

* avast! Server Edition
    * avast! Exchange Server plugin
    * avast! MS Proxy/ISA Server plugin

These providers are enabled on my server:

* Exchange 2000/2003
    * MS Proxy/ISA
    * MS SMTP 200/2003
    * Network Shield
    * Script Blocking
    * Standard Shield

This provider is not enabled because it adds nothing to the MS Proxy/ISA provider:

* Web Shield

Ken
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 07:31:20 AM by kwg »

MrPine

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 02:35:25 PM »
Thanks for your reply Ken,
I would have expected a similar list of providers to be running on my server, especially Script blockeing and Network Shield. Where in the program are these providers enabled/dissabled? The only provider listed on my installation is Standard Shield, if that's it for Avast Server then I may as well uninstall it as Avast Professional has all of the providers.

kwg

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 06:39:21 PM »
When you double-click the avast! icon (blue circle with white "a") in the system tray, the On-Access Protection Control opens. Along the left side is a list of installed providers. Selecting each of these providers in turn displays its status on the right side. There are also buttons for starting (enabling), pausing and terminating (disabling) the selected provider.

If you right-click the avast! icon in the system tray, the last item should be Stop On-Access Protection, which stops all providers. Clicking the last item again restarts all providers. There are also options in the right-click menu for pausing, stopping and resuming individual providers.

Ken

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 11:34:15 PM »
For a file server, I'd suggest running only the Standard Shield and the Network Shield. The rest is more or less designed for work on workstations (or terminal servers) - that is, in interactive mode.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MrPine

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 12:54:29 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everybody, that has helped me out heaps.