Author Topic: Auto Update  (Read 15995 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Auto Update
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2003, 02:16:10 AM »
Auto update worked fine until iAVS was updated today. When I next started dun, got the red box before connection was completed again. Will try replacing ashserve.exe file again, and see if this solves anything.

Why don't you try to delay the starting of the update with NetRun. This application detects the connection state and lauch programs automatically. You can set the programs or just drag & drop them into the main window.

Put there the C:\Arquivos de programas\Avast\aswUpdSv.exe and set it for running some seconds after the connection be done. Probably in Windows 98 you will have to delete some Startup item (in Windows XP is a service called avast! iAVS4 Control Service that must be stoped).

I know it's not the final solution but untill there... Anyway, you will love NetRun...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Cochise

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 11:24:40 AM »
I am using win98se with a dial-up connection and seem to be having the same problem. I have Avast set for dial up connection only, and auto update. The problem is that if I execute IE or Ms Outlook, my default connection box comes on and tries to dial out as normal, but after 15 seconds into the dial up process, another box with my default connection box comes up again cancelling the first one and tries to dial out a second time. Zone Alarm reports that it is Avast trying to establish the connection. Seems Avast is a little gung ho and is trying to update before a connection is established.  I then have to go into the task manager to quit the first dial up connection to get rid of the connection box that is up on the screen. For the meantime I have set my updates to manual until a fix is provided. This problem happened right after the last Avast Program update. Hope it gets fixed, I would rather have auto updates anytime.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 11:46:23 AM »
I am using win98se with a dial-up connection and seem to be having the same problem. I have Avast set for dial up connection only, and auto update. The problem is that if I execute IE or Ms Outlook, my default connection box comes on and tries to dial out as normal, but after 15 seconds into the dial up process, another box with my default connection box comes up again cancelling the first one and tries to dial out a second time. Zone Alarm reports that it is Avast trying to establish the connection. Seems Avast is a little gung ho and is trying to update before a connection is established.  I then have to go into the task manager to quit the first dial up connection to get rid of the connection box that is up on the screen. For the meantime I have set my updates to manual until a fix is provided. This problem happened right after the last Avast Program update. Hope it gets fixed, I would rather have auto updates anytime.

I have to agree with you  :'(
But, just to some technical troubleshotting, what is your setting for dialing up into Internet Explorer options (Connections): Never dial or Always dial up the default connection?  ;)

Cochise

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 03:54:31 PM »
I have it set to always dial my default connection if that helps any.

Rod

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 07:22:43 PM »
I reinstalled Vlk's patched ashserve.exe file and all appears to be working well. An update of iAVS worked fine today. The program asks for a reboot, which must be declined, but everything works fine until you have to reboot, and then the patched file has to be reinstalled. I hope that the patched file can be made part of the std installation, so that reinstallation won't have to be done.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 08:14:49 PM »
I reinstalled Vlk's patched ashserve.exe file and all appears to be working well. An update of iAVS worked fine today. The program asks for a reboot, which must be declined, but everything works fine until you have to reboot, and then the patched file has to be reinstalled. I hope that the patched file can be made part of the std installation, so that reinstallation won't have to be done.

Cochise, why don't you give a try on Rod's solution (and Vlk link for new ashserve.exe)?
The update of today (November 5th) was just a virus database update (VPS 0310-7) and do not ask for reboot in my system, but maybe Rod's have some other stuff to be updated...  ;)

Cochise

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 01:04:14 AM »
I gave it a try and like Rod said, it works but Avast will ask you to reboot which I declined it.

Where do we go from here?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2003, 01:24:16 AM »
I do recommend a new full download of avast! setup.
Desinstall / Boot / Download and run avast 4.0 Uninstall / Boot / Install again

Try to update and see what happens. This is the text of the update of today (November 5th):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New iAVS update for avast!4 and avast32 has been released recently.
Related files could be also found on our Internet sites.
Note: This is a standard update
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rod

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2003, 01:41:13 AM »
Avast asks for a reboot, because it wants to replace the ashserve.exe file with the original file. It will ask for a reboot every time it updates, which must be declined, or else the file will be replaced, requiring a replacement of the file again.

I guess this will be the way it is until the program has been changed to include the patched file as the default. I hope this is being worked on.

Rod

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2003, 02:03:32 AM »
Avast asks for a reboot, because it wants to replace the ashserve.exe file with the original file. It will ask for a reboot every time it updates, which must be declined, or else the file will be replaced, requiring a replacement of the file again.

I guess this will be the way it is until the program has been changed to include the patched file as the default. I hope this is being worked on.

Rod

I think you're right... Troubles with avast! setup file (and consequently with the updates) are being discussed and posted here.  ;)

doggeral

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2003, 02:12:14 AM »
Another reason to be able to turn off automatic updating :) ....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2003, 03:31:35 AM »
Another reason to be able to turn off automatic updating :) ....

This feature, like a lot of others, relays on user's freedom of choice...
But I disagree of you. Automatic updating is quite the best feature of avast! In a working system, with no installation errors, everything goes fine. I had only a trouble, in the past, with an update. Two hours later, avast! team correct a bug in the update... The price for not automatic updates does not worth the tranquility and peace to get rid and avoid viruses infection.  ;)

I do believe in avast! team and users!  ;D

doggeral

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2003, 03:55:37 AM »
You may disagree with me purely based on the difficulty to remove such a feature, but as I've said before I understand and agree with that point.  

But to me as long as the interface is good and clearly seperates basic and advanced options with good documentation then there is no such thing as a bad option.  

I assume that in avast every option that is reasonably easy to turn off or on is integrated (otherwise why would you allow the resdient scanner to be disabled.  If a virius were targeted at avast it could in theory shut the engine down.)  

Again if the complexity of the situation makes it not productive to do its understandable....My comment had a smile by the way and was a half joke.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2003, 04:15:51 AM »
You may disagree with me purely based on the difficulty to remove such a feature, but as I've said before I understand and agree with that point.  

But to me as long as the interface is good and clearly seperates basic and advanced options with good documentation then there is no such thing as a bad option.  

I assume that in avast every option that is reasonably easy to turn off or on is integrated (otherwise why would you allow the resdient scanner to be disabled.  If a virius were targeted at avast it could in theory shut the engine down.)  

Again if the complexity of the situation makes it not productive to do its understandable....My comment had a smile by the way and was a half joke.  

Ok, I understand your point of view. By now, just avast! team could say something... It is out of my hands... See you round, bro  ;)

Cochise

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2003, 05:51:22 PM »
I do recommend a new full download of avast! setup.
Desinstall / Boot / Download and run avast 4.0 Uninstall / Boot / Install again

Try to update and see what happens. This is the text of the update of today (November 5th):

New iAVS update for avast!4 and avast32 has been released recently.
Related files could be also found on our Internet sites.
Note: This is a standard update

I removed Avast with Avclear and downloaded the new Avast file and installed it. I have not seen the double dial that I was getting before but I will see how it works for a few days and keep you posted as far as if the problem goes away.