Author Topic: Auto Update  (Read 15987 times)

Rod

Auto Update
« on: October 31, 2003, 01:08:12 AM »
Since latest program updates, Avast attempts to contact the download server while DUN is still negotiating the connection. I get a message saying that the Avast server is down, which it is not. I can manually connect to the server after the connection is established. Is there some seting that controls this behavior that I am missing, or or is there a bug in the program?

Ver 4.1.289

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Auto Update
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 02:09:19 AM »
Since latest program updates, Avast attempts to contact the download server while DUN is still negotiating the connection. I get a message saying that the Avast server is down, which it is not. I can manually connect to the server after the connection is established. Is there some seting that controls this behavior that I am missing, or or is there a bug in the program?

Ver 4.1.289

I think Rod is correct. I have posted something before in this forum but I get no answer...  :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 08:20:25 AM »
Rod, do you have the "I only connect to the Internet using a dial-up connection" option set in avast settings?

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 12:28:18 PM »
Rod, do you have the "I only connect to the Internet using a dial-up connection" option set in avast settings?

Vlk

Vlk, I don't know if Rod did what you say but I'm sure my Windows 98 machine is correctly set for it. Is there any reason for server down troubles of these weeks?  ;)
Is Rod (and I) correct when he says avast attempts to contact the download server while DUN is still negotiating the connection?

Rod

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 01:56:14 PM »
I have settings for dialup, and not for always connected. In ini file :
[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
AssumeAlwaysConnected=0

I get the red alert message before the modem finishes sending user and password to provider. It just started doing this since the last  2 updates.

I can set for manual upates if necessary, but would like to continue using auto update.

Thanks for replies.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 02:00:26 PM »
Rod, do you also use Windows 9x?
The thing is, the modem (the Windows' RAS subsystem, to be more specific) is probably reporting the 'connected' status before the connection is actually established...

I'll try to make an updated version and deliver it to you.

Thanks for your help,
Vlk

Rod

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 05:29:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. I apologize for not stating the OS. On this machine, I am using Win 2k SP4. The modem is an internal Zoom Win Modem on a dialup connection. Windows lists it as a CNXT V92 data fax modem.

Thanks,
Rod

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 05:41:15 PM »
Please download the updated version here: http://www2.asw.cz/~vlk/ashServ.exe . Just replace the ashServ.exe file in your avast directory with this one, and see if it helps.

The file will be locked so you'll first need to stop the 'avast antivirus' service (Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services).

Also it's little tricky that the avast's auto-correct feature will actually try to replace the patched version by the original one; but unless you reboot, it will not be able to do this (but will ask you to reboot which you'll refuse :))

Thanks
Vlk

Rod

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 06:12:11 PM »
I replaced the file, and so far no problem. If I ask Avast to do an update, it tells me that I am up to date, but then asks if I want to reboot. What happens when I reboot the machine? Will Avast replace the file, and then I have to reinstall again? Will I get this reboot screen every time I want to update?

Thanks,
Rod

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 06:15:46 PM »
What happens when I reboot the machine? Will Avast replace the file, and then I have to reinstall again?

Yes.

Will I get this reboot screen every time I want to update?

Yes.

Sorry, but this is how it works. It doesn't like patched files :)
But this is just a temporary thing, just to test it helped.
If you've got some time (and still have the original setup exe file), it may be worth trying to reinstall the program, replacing the ashServ.exe file upon installation, and leting it to do the VPS update as you connect to the Internet (the original setup exe doesn't contain the latest VPS file, of course).

Thanks for your help,
Vlk

Rod

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 08:51:31 PM »
Uninstalled, and reinstalled and replaced file before rebooting. When I updated the program, it reinstalled the original file. I'll se if problems pop up again.

Thanks for your help.

Rod

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 10:58:25 PM »
...so that means the auto-update feature worked this time?

Rod

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 11:35:33 PM »
Seems to be working so far. I'll post if I have problems.

Thanks,
Rod

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2003, 02:59:02 AM »
Please download the updated version here: http://www2.asw.cz/~vlk/ashServ.exe . Just replace the ashServ.exe file in your avast directory with this one, and see if it helps.

The file will be locked so you'll first need to stop the 'avast antivirus' service (Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services).

Also it's little tricky that the avast's auto-correct feature will actually try to replace the patched version by the original one; but unless you reboot, it will not be able to do this (but will ask you to reboot which you'll refuse :))

Thanks
Vlk

I´ll post my results (If I remember of course...) on my Windows 98 machine...
Thanks Rod for your tests and Vlk for your wisdom  ;)

Rod

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2003, 01:07:18 AM »
Auto update worked fine until iAVS was updated today. When I next started dun, got the red box before connection was completed again. Will try replacing ashserve.exe file again, and see if this solves anything.