Author Topic: !WishList for AVSAT Professional Edition!  (Read 3600 times)

jon909

!WishList for AVSAT Professional Edition!
« on: September 01, 2005, 02:48:09 PM »
It seems that a while has passed since anyone has maintained a topic/thread for what they want added to AVAST 4.

I'd like to start the ball rolling by saying how the webshield is such a welcome addition to version 4.6- its one step closer to having one, cohesive solution for protection against viruses, worms, trojans and adware/spyware/malware. (Jesus- what a mouthful! Does anyone out there have a better way of referring to all of this stuff?)

I'd like to suggest adding a realtime registry scanner similar to that used by dedicated anti-spyware programs. It would also be incredibly useful to perform a registry scan at boot time in the way that you can already do so for viruses. Having said that, I don't know of ANY anti-spyware applications that have that capability. Because of this I generally use Bart PE with the Ad-Aware plugin- its so much easier to successfully clean a PC if the filth isn't running!

BTW- Does anyone know what antivirus engine AVAST uses? GFI's mail security product uses Norman Virus Control and BitDefender as standard, with Kaspersky and McAfee as optional add-ons. I don't know about you guys but I never trust a single anti-virus or anti-spyware product to do a good enough job- its always that 1% of stuff that your chosen application doesn't catch that obviously gives you the problem!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: !WishList for AVSAT Professional Edition!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 02:54:51 PM »
viruses, worms, trojans and adware/spyware/malware.
Don't break you tongue over it ;D You can just call it malware. That is the short for malicious software and covers viruses, worms, trojans etc.

Does anyone know what antivirus engine AVAST uses?
Avast is using it's own engine.

I don't know about you guys but I never trust a single anti-virus or anti-spyware product to do a good enough job- its always that 1% of stuff that your chosen application doesn't catch that obviously gives you the problem!
True, that's why I recommend to use multiple applications. (more info)

jon909

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 03:09:29 PM »
Hi, eddy,

Thanks for such a useful and quick reply! Any suggestions as to what you'd like added to AVAST 4?

This is kind of off-topic but I'm also looking at personal firewall solutions and, to my knowledge, netop's desktop firewall is the only one to run as an NDIS driver. Presumably, because it runs 'beneath' the TCP/IP stack, it has much better control of what it needs to firewall. It makes me think- at what software layer do the AVAST processes work on? For IP-born malware, surely AVAST is best effective working as a plugin to a firewall like netop.

Penny for your thoughts....

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 03:19:05 PM »
Only thing I want to see added atm is a way to detect (and if needed remove) rootkits.

What someone wants to see added/changed depends ofcourse a lot on the setup that the person/company has.