Author Topic: Avast Conflict with Zone Alarm  (Read 5386 times)

bongo

Avast Conflict with Zone Alarm
« on: September 01, 2005, 04:03:03 PM »
Apoligies in advance if this topic has been covered.

I use WinXp pro and have installed avast4.6Home and Zone Alarm (free) v 5.5.094.000

Problem is that this combination prevents my browser from accessing the web. If I shut down ZA, then the web access is restored and I find that in that brief time viruses come to roost, and Avast proudly announces the detection of these.

After sending the viruses tio Chest, then a WinXp repair is required to rid the viruses --- all of this is tiring

So back to the original problem - why is there a conflict and is there a solution?

Appreciate help on this, thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Conflict with Zone Alarm
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 04:10:03 PM »
Welcome,

This has indeed been explained before. ZA has a problem that still isn't fixed.
You can find what to do if you use the search option on this board.

There is also info on this on Avast's website. (SEE HERE)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 07:46:40 PM »
Ensure that ashWebSv.exe is not blocked in the Programs section of ZA, that sounds like what is happening.
ashWebSv.exe is the Web Shield provider and requires internet access.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bongo

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 02:14:27 AM »
 Eddy ...
1. Thanks for the reference leads - shall go through them.
2. That ZA is cause for the problems doesnt bode well for avast, specially since ZA has its own AV solutions for sale. Does avast plan a firewall response? :)
3. In the meantime I noticed that avast has a 'pause provider' function and setting the web shield to pause, appears to alleviate the non-access to webspace by browser. Is this problem specific to the web shield?

DavidR ...
1. ashWebSv.exe does not appear in the program section of my ZA. A search in the web tells me that this 'is a process belonging to the Avast Internet Security Suite' Since my ZA is a free version (v5.5.094.000), this may not be the specific cause for my predicament...?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 03:36:35 AM »
2. That ZA is cause for the problems doesnt bode well for avast, specially since ZA has its own AV solutions for sale. Does avast plan a firewall response? :)
Who knows... probably  8)

3. In the meantime I noticed that avast has a 'pause provider' function and setting the web shield to pause, appears to alleviate the non-access to webspace by browser. Is this problem specific to the web shield?
Note, if you use ZA free you don't have to stop or pause anything. If you proper set both avast! and ZA, everything should work. I have one computer with both avast! and ZA free. WebShield is enabled  8)

1. ashWebSv.exe does not appear in the program section of my ZA. A search in the web tells me that this 'is a process belonging to the Avast Internet Security Suite' Since my ZA is a free version (v5.5.094.000), this may not be the specific cause for my predicament...?
No, there isn't an avast! Suite. It's from avast! antivirus. You should have ashWebSv.exe (WebShield executable) enabled into ZA or, otherwise, you won't connect, of course.
The best things in life are free.

bongo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 05:07:47 AM »
Tech

my ZA 5.5 does not indicate how ashWebSv.exe may be 'enabled or disabled into ZA' (other than the 'pause provider' function on avast) - could you explain?

the avast suite (ha ha) - that was a hurried copy and paste when researching the item, from this site ... http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ashWebSv/

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 05:38:21 AM »

If you Turn off your privacy settings in ZA that is Cookie Control Ad Blocking and Mobile Code

you may solve the problem.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 05:51:18 AM »
my ZA 5.5 does not indicate how ashWebSv.exe may be 'enabled or disabled into ZA' (other than the 'pause provider' function on avast) - could you explain?
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
   (allow server rights: it works like a local proxy server; access to ports 80, 443; accept connections from localhost on ports 12080)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
   (allow email rights: outgoing on ports 110, 25 and 119; accept connections from localhost on ports 12110, 12025, 12119)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable)
The best things in life are free.

roro

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 08:42:31 AM »
I don't know if this is already understood, but I went to Firewall and couldn't fine a place to put Tech's Avast links.
You have to go to Program Control and click on the Program tab in order to add those Avast links.
 8) 8)