Author Topic: Avast Internet Security 2015  (Read 2973 times)

REDACTED

Avast Internet Security 2015
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:30:16 PM »
Last night Avast Internet Security 2014 notified me that there was a new program version available.  I try to keep Avast up to date to get the best protection, so I let it install the new version, and then shut the computer down.  When I restarted this morning, I was noticed that the update was to Avast Internet Security 2015.  Unfortunately, "avast NG front end" now uses 20% of my CPU time, the fan now runs at medium speed even though no applications are running instead of on low, and the computer (laptop) is quite warm to touch.  NONE OF THIS WAS HAPPENING LAST NIGHT BEFORE THE UPDATE!!!  If this doesn't improve soon, I will need to switch to a different anti-virus program.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast Internet Security 2015
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:19:12 AM »
Never place a laptop with the back on a flat surface, air must be able to flow underneath it.
Best is to use a good laptop cooler.

NG is a new implementation in avast.
It runs each process in its own VM environment.
First time it indeed take a while and use quit some resources.
Later on it should be easier on the system resources.
If you don't want it, just disable/remove the NG component.

There is no need to switch to something else, just learn about the new things.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:10 PM »
FIXED IT!!!

Thanks for your reply, Eddie.  I have some good news.  I tried to restore the system back to the pre-upgrade date so that I could verify that it was the upgrade causing the problem, but system restore hung up on the blue screen that said "Initializing System Restore".  After an hour of that, I finally took a deep breath and shut the laptop off.  I then took another deep breath and started it up again.  After a rather long startup (which I expected) and a message saying that restore had failed (not really a surprise), Win 8.1 started normally.  The fan wasn't running at full speed anymore, so I checked CPU usage with Taskmanager, and it was down well below 10%, which is normal on this machine when it is idle.

So it appears the failed restore fixed something that wasn't right.  Probably in the recovery process.  BTW, the avast NG icon showing in taskmanager is now a little NG symbol.  It was different right after the upgrade when the fan was running really fast all the time.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

petirma

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »
Oh no, you can run but not hide from me.
I'm not done yet with you ;D

It looks to me that it was indeed the first run of NG that caused it.
First time it checks and setups a lot of things in order to be able run properly.
If people (you) don't know this, it sure can look like something is wrong while everything in fact is as it should.
After it finishes its initial setup, NG will "calm down".

Please keep a eye on the resource (cpu) usage lets say the next week.
Just to make sure everything is ok and stays ok.

NG can take up quiet a lot of diskspace, so keep an eye on that too.
If it happens, don't worry about it.

If you don't want that...
control panel > software > avast > change > remove NG.