Author Topic: New Avast! user  (Read 3786 times)

Rick F

New Avast! user
« on: September 05, 2005, 07:33:24 PM »
Hi,

I'm a new user of Avast!  I've been a McAfee user since version 2 I think (when all of it would fit on a floppy :o).  I never liked their newer products so stuck with VS-7. I finally had to give up on VS-7 as it was really slowing down my PC. I think the DATs were getting too big to run on my old Win98 SE machine (350mhz). I was a volunteer moderator for McAfee's help forum for 3 years... but I guess I won't be able to continue with that.

I must say that I really like the Avast product so far. (Ver 4.6.691; def #0536). My first test with Eicar didn't detect it when downloading, but the next day (after reboot) it detected just fine. I like the way Avast scans emails as they're being downloaded...
( Internet mail protection in Avast is done by changing your SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/NNTP server Addy to 127.0.0.1 (local host) then relaying all traffic thru Avast )

Question... is there a user manual available for Avast 4?  I can't figure out how to scan my HD manually.

Thanx.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 07:50:35 PM by Rick F »

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
Re: New Avast! user
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 07:41:06 PM »
Welcome to avast! forum :)
Question... is there a user manual available for Avast 4?  I can't figure out how to scan my HD manually.

What do you mean with "user manual"? There is a special help which is started after you run avast! for first time. In this help is described how to scan HDD's, CD's and others removable media. Although you can see avast! help file for more info.

You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Rick F

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 07:48:43 PM »
Thanks for responding.

Well I guess I must be blind, ::). I can't find the help file?  I tried opening Avast - nothing there.  Right-clicking on the Avast icon on system tray, can't find any help file. I'm sure it must be there someplace, but where?

Thanx.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 07:54:13 PM »
Try this >
Program files>Alwil Software >avast4>ENGLISH>help>help.chm  ;)

Or just start avast! Simple User Interface and from the main menu click help  :)

Rick F

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 08:05:12 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I was trying to get to the help from the 'On-Access Scanner' or the blue ball on the SysTray. I didn't have the main program up and running yet. 

This is different than what I was used to so will take a bit of time figuring out.

Thanks again.  ;) 

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 08:13:43 PM »
You are welcome everytime  ;D

avast! is very configurable program, so you will be surprised what abilities have avast!  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 08:34:17 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I was trying to get to the help from the 'On-Access Scanner' or the blue ball on the SysTray. I didn't have the main program up and running yet. 
You can also use the Start button, All Programs, avast! Antivirus, Help. You can also right click on that option and select Send To, Desktop (Shortcut), this will give you a very quick was to access the help file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security