Author Topic: Suggestion, that Avast can resume scanning non-system drives after a reboot  (Read 1916 times)

REDACTED

Hello,

I heard about the Detekt utility published by the EFF and other organizations and gave it a go, and, argh!, two things were found on my computer.

With the Avast default scanning settings nothing was found on my computer neither before nor after Detekt, so I decided to run a personalized scan with EVERYTHING to the extreme. Search everywhere for everything, no files to exclude, no exception.

Problem : I have a SUPER HUGE storage capacity, around 6 TB in total, and the two thirds of it is used.
For my websites (I'm hosting websites on a dedicated server and I keep archives) and for everything that involves my digital life over soon two decades (and everything is kept with backups on separate disks & partitions, I'm a backup freak and proud of that, no matter how many disks I lost all these years I never lost the data.)

At the present time, my custom scan has been running for two hours, 12 infected files were found, aaaaaaand...
Avast still indicates a 0% progress  :o

I guess I'm in it for weeks of scanning, sigh.
And Avast won't tell me which are the already found files, re-sigh.

So here comes my suggestion : please, could Avast consider a feature to resume scanning after a computer reboot ?
Sure, that must exclude system disks, too much may change on a system disk after a reboot.
Sure, that must be made optional, because I figure it would imply keeping a list of a partition's files, and check against that list after a reboot to find if new files must be scanned. Or it may simply imply we accept that new files appeared on a partition already scanned will be ignored (me : sure.)

But, really, I'm in a situation where it would be TOTALLY helpful !

Thank you very much, dear Avast, if you can make it an idea to think about :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Resuming a scan after a reboot would not make sense.
Things have changed and with a resume it may miss things.

REDACTED

Then that means it is physically impossible to run a scan of my computer. Which also is making no sense.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
The 0% seems to be a little bug in the latest avast version.
Let the scan run and wait till it says it is finished.

REDACTED

Hello,

A late report, the scan was extraordinarily slow (two days) but it finally went on.

I interrupted the first zero-percent scan after a few hours, and, yeah, it was a bug, as the program had already finished with two partitions at the time I interrupted it. The second (and final) time I ran the program, this time the progression percentage was being properly updated.

Sorry for the false alarm :)
Although, still, allowing the program to deal with reboots would be an awesome feature, a two days running duration is still gigantic, and it may be legitimate, or, even, necessary, to have computer reboots during that time scale.