Author Topic: Ran full system scan and found infected files,taking a long time to fix  (Read 2515 times)

REDACTED

I have recently switched from Sophos to Avast due to issues with updating. After running a full system scan this morning, Avast detected 15 infections on my computer and when it attempted to fix them, the last 3 threats out of 15 were taking a really long time to fix.(all actions selected were Fix automatically)
Does this normally take a long time, and should I worry?I'm using the latest version of Avast.

It's been like this for over two hours now. Do I just wait until it completes or what do I do? :-\
Please help, thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Ran full system scan and found infected files,taking a long time to fix
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
Stop the process, reboot, follow the underneath instructions, reboot, perform a clean installation of avast and run a scan.
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/11019.aspx

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:22:05 AM »
Gonna try that now, thank you. Over nearly four hours has lapsed now since the attempted repairs started and it still hasn't completed.   :-\

[UPDATE] It's fixed now. I just closed the window, a reboot prompt appeared and then performed a bootscan before rebooting again. My computer is running fine again with a huge noticeable difference in performance and speed - it used to be really slow and laggy before. Thanks again for your help  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:11:44 PM by morgannabananas »

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Malwarebytes and FRST. Can you attach them? Avast! wouldn't have targeted the remnants of the files.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.