Author Topic: virus update sound  (Read 11152 times)

Offline krypton

• Poster
virus update sound
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:45:30 AM »
hello

when my virus database updates then it do not shows any pop up window and no sound.why this happening?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:48:27 AM by krypton »
LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: virus update sound
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »
Please use the search option before posting.
It has been explained that avast removed the pop-ups and sound a lot of times already.

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »
if avast removed popups and sounds then why there is option to tick mark in sounds tab and there is ticked mark on automatic update.

if avast has removed this option to pop up and sound when virus definitions is updated then that option should also remove.because its of no use. i like that sound and pop up so i want to enable it
LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
There are other popups and sounds ..... Like threat detected.  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »
<snip>
if avast has removed this option to pop up and sound when virus definitions is updated then that option should also remove.because its of no use. i like that sound and pop up so i want to enable it

Leaving the auto update notification options was an error it too should have been removed.

That said there are many, many users who feel this should never have been removed - a little like a security blanket - and something unique to avast.

There are even some at avast that aren't convinced it should have been removed. So we may even see it back ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:53 PM »
There are many of us "counting" on seeing that iconic feature back soooooon.  8)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
 @schmidthouse

i may be wrong, but guessing VPS updates will be gone in future versions, meaning only stream updates evry 5-15 minutes like Norton have done

that would mean a ton of popups evry day, some may consider that popup spam   ;)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
@schmidthouse

i may be wrong, but guessing VPS updates will be gone in future versions, meaning only stream updates evry 5-15 minutes like Norton have done

that would mean a ton of popups evry day, some may consider that popup spam   ;)

That would require a major rework of how streaming updates are maintained.  The streaming updates would grow so as to be a huge burden.  VPS updates incorporate the past streaming updates, and the streaming updates are then deleted.  Previously, the VPS update popup was only shown at most a few times per day.  That is all that most people want to return to.  No one has said anything about having a popup for each streaming update.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
@schmidthouse

Thanks Pondus, I get that,
 however there is no doubt a way to incorporate the 'iconic voice" announcement, that all is updated/up to date>
In any case, I happen to be one that does miss the voice in 2015.
However, given the version I'm running, its all good. ;) :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »
yepp everyone has its own taste, i like it totally silent and popup free .... unless it detect something

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
yepp everyone has its own taste, i like it totally silent and popup free .... unless it detect something

Yah fair enough. I think that's why there was/is an "option" to not have the announcement; for those who like it quiet.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
@schmidthouse

No one has even mentioned that streaming updates should have a notification and certainly not avast - that would be absolutely bonkers. People, avast users are asking for the old VPS update notifications to remain as they were.

That status quo would mean that users can switch it of if they don't want it - so both sides are catered for.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 07:27:15 PM »
No one has even mentioned that streaming updates should have a notification and certainly not avast
what i mean to say is that IF avast is moving in that direction (stream only) then there will be no more popup/sound .... and maybe that is why they have done it, to  prepare us for what is comming?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
No one has even mentioned that streaming updates should have a notification and certainly not avast

what i mean to say is that IF avast is moving in that direction (stream only) then there will be no more popup/sound .... and maybe that is why they have done it, to  prepare us for what is comming?

I tend not to speculate on what avast are likely to do or not.

As I have already mentioned if we aren't getting the regular VPS update, then people don't know if the streaming updates are working either, without having to check manually and doing that is hardly a one click option. I have that as a Rocket Dock shortcut to the Defs folder - but should we have to get creative to find out.

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 04:36:42 AM »
i like the voice of avast that says when automatic update is done.it lets me know that my avast running fine and lets me know that database is updated. but now i have to see every day when i connect to internet that avast is updated today?

avast popup and that sound when virus database updated is so good and attractive voice so i like to enable it but i hope it will come back.

i do not know why avast removed it. even there is an option to disable it. if some peeps do not like it then they can simply disable it.
 ::)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:42:35 AM by krypton »