Author Topic: virus update sound  (Read 11204 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: virus update sound
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 05:26:23 PM »
i like the voice of avast that says when automatic update is done.it lets me know that my avast running fine and lets me know that database is updated. but now i have to see every day when i connect to internet that avast is updated today?
No you dont, like other AV that dont have update popup/sound .... there will be a popup if something is wrong

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 06:14:35 AM »
if avast removed popups and sounds then why there is option to tick mark in sounds tab and there is ticked mark on automatic update.

if avast has removed this option to pop up and sound when virus definitions is updated then that option should also remove.because its of no use. i like that sound and pop up so i want to enable it
That is an astute and proper observation.  Well said.

It's been going on for a month now.

What does it say about the prowess and discipline of an engineering organization when they either

1) remove a feature but don't bother to take the configuration option for it out of the UI

-or-

2) break a feature and say it was removed on purpose 

-and-

3) whatever the reason leave it broken for more than a month?

-Noel
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:16:17 AM by NoelC »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
One of the avast team has already said it was removed in yet another topic related to this , but leaving the UI options was an omission.

There was also a topic in Wilders about the removal of the auto update notification and that was also confirmed by a senior avast team member. There was also a comment about if its removal was a good idea or not.

Speculation isn't helpful.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline krypton

• Poster
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 06:04:36 AM »
One of the avast team has already said it was removed in yet another topic related to this , but leaving the UI options was an omission.

There was also a topic in Wilders about the removal of the auto update notification and that was also confirmed by a senior avast team member. There was also a comment about if its removal was a good idea or not.

Speculation isn't helpful.
what is the forum link of that topic?i want to comment my opinion if it accepts the opinion for that  update sound.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:09:19 AM by krypton »
LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
Sorry I haven't got it copied anywhere it is from memory - to find it I would have to do a forum search just like you would.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 05:56:34 PM »
Yes, I read that comment by VLK in wilders, while it was short it was to the point, basically posing the question as whether removing/eliminating the "iconic voice" update notice was a good idea,

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 01:00:17 AM »
You believe everything people say, do you?

No speculation was involved.  I asked a simple question, giving the several possible scenarios.

-Noel

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »
You believe everything people say, do you?

No speculation was involved.  I asked a simple question, giving the several possible scenarios.

-Noel

I don't believe everything that people say, certainly not until I get some idea of the person or company, etc. But I don't distrust everything that people say.

I believe that after over 10 years using avast and on forums for about the same time - I give at the very least the benefit of doubt.

You say No speculation was involved - items 2 and 3 are pure speculation as you have absolutely no proof that either was the case.

If you so mistrust avast, then perhaps it is time to look elsewhere for someone to trust.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 05:26:49 AM »
Already done.  Ditched Avast a week+ ago on my main workstation and my computing experience has been better for it.  I still have it on my test systems, though, but I'm considering removing it from the one running Win 8.1.

Perhaps your definition of "speculation" and mine apparently differ.  Between items 1 and 2 I've covered every possibility, and item 3 is a given.  Or are you arguing that the announcement HASN'T been removed for a month while the UI still shows it as configurable?

I didn't make a rash decision.  I had 10 years of experience with Avast too, but it counts for exactly what when the last 6 months indicates a change of the tide?  Give it time, you'll perceive it too.

-Noel

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 05:42:16 AM »
NoelC@ you obviously haven't covered all possibilities as you are misinterpreting the information given and then further speculating ::) though the voice for updates has been removed there are still sounds for other actions like threats detected and such so that is why there is still the option to disable sounds in settings.

REDACTED

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
Misinterpreting, eh? 

I'm game - what do YOU think the setting shown in the attached image means / does?

Since folks often feel comfortable suggesting I stop posting in this forum, I'll do the same.  If you don't have something useful or factual to add here, how about not adding anything?

-Noel

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 05:51:05 PM »
As it has already been explained that was a minor overlook on the new version, no rush to remove it now until a new version is released.

Talking factual statements nothing you have mentioned here has not been said and answered before.

REDACTED

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 06:12:42 PM »
"Minor overlook", eh?

This company makes ONE product.  There are a limited number of settings - maybe less than 100 in total.

How does an engineer manage a "minor overlook" of the UI setting when he removes one of the product's trademark features?  How does the testing organization miss it?

I don't care about this specific issue.  But when combined with other indications, what does it say about the discipline and level of care in engineering and product testing within the company we might choose to trust to keep our systems safe and stable?

I can keep answering fanboy posts ad infinitum.

-Noel

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 06:24:50 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D fanboy  ;D ;D ;D you are sadly misinformed, I'm not making excuses for them as it was an oversight but it's nothing to get worked up on and worry your little mind over.

You've already stated that you have changed one of your systems to some other AV and will shortly be changing another so instead of hanging around here trolling I suggest you get busy on that second system ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
Isn't anything good at the television right now?  ???
The best things in life are free.