Author Topic: fraudeliminator good software with FF and Avast?  (Read 4438 times)

roro

fraudeliminator good software with FF and Avast?
« on: September 01, 2005, 10:01:39 AM »
I just downloaded Fraud Eliminator, and didn't want to install until I heard a little more about it. I did read some reviews at PC World, Download.com etc.   Apparently it detects Phishing and fraudulent websites.  There is a free version here:
http://www.fraudeliminator.com/
Has anyone used or heard anything about this program and its worth?
 :) :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: fraudeliminator good software with FF and Avast?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 01:35:19 PM »
You can search the avast forum or, better, use Google for Fraud Eliminator.
Anyway, nothing substitutes a good antivirus program and a firewall used with a little knowleage. Oh, I forgot, keeps Windows always up to date  8)
Sorry, can't give you more info or experience on it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 02:35:10 PM »
I would have thought that it would have been better to do the research prior to downloading it?

I haven't heard of this particular software so I can't say if it is good or bad, but downloading unknown software is inviting something into your system that could carry a payload you weren't expecting.

Filename: fraud-eliminator.exe, 1.5Mb
Type: Shareware, $19.99

FraudEliminator prevents users from accessing known fraud and phishing websites, and employs advanced artificial intelligence that can recognize and block all yet-undiscovered fraud sites.
You have to ask yourself if what it offers is worth paying for and do you already have something that can do the same as advanced artificial intelligence, yes real intelligence, common sense.

There are probably freeware options that do much of what you would be paying for in this software. I am slightly confused about the status of this software as some sites say it is free and others say it costs $19.99 ??? Google returns lots of hits for
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

roro

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 03:09:48 PM »
I did do research before downloading, but just wanted to find out if anyone on this great forum had some ideas.
 :) :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »
I did some research on Fraudelimiter. It is of no use. It only protects against some vulnarabillities in certain browsers and they are all(most) fixed in the latest browser versions and Windows updates. (source: Secunia)

If you have your system up-to-date (not only OS, but also browsers and other applications), there is no need to install Fraudelimiter.

Besides this, they claim it will protect against certain things. But their claim is nonsense. There is no way to protect you from everything they say. It is technically impossible. Using common sense is the best start to defend yourself and your system from harm.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 07:43:38 PM »
I did some research on Fraudelimiter. It is of no use. It only protects against some vulnarabillities in certain browsers and they are all(most) fixed in the latest browser versions and Windows updates. (source: Secunia)

If you have your system up-to-date (not only OS, but also browsers and other applications), there is no need to install Fraudelimiter.

Besides this, they claim it will protect against certain things. But their claim is nonsense. There is no way to protect you from everything they say. It is technically impossible. Using common sense is the best start to defend yourself and your system from harm.
Thanks Eddy. This is what we feed when found all-problems-solved-applications-buy-me  :P
The best things in life are free.

roro

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 08:09:58 AM »
Thanks Eddie,
Well :o that is one download that I will delete.  I have  never had any problems with Pishing and didn't want to start.
This forum is so helpful.  I switched to Avast on my desktop even though  I had already paid for my Norton AV yearly subscription.  You all convinced me of its usefullness.

Thanks again. 8) 8) 8)