Author Topic: Losing internet access after Avast eats up all UDP ports  (Read 3246 times)

REDACTED

Losing internet access after Avast eats up all UDP ports
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:14:04 PM »
Hey folks.

I'm losing internet access on Windows 8.1 64-bit when Avast Pro Antivirus starts to use up all available UDP ports. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and has a way to fix.

I'll outline my steps below to show what I've been able to find.

PROBLEM: Internet access is lost after a period of time on Windows 8.1 46-bit. Running Avast Pro Antivirus.

1.) Found entry in Event Viewer:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Tcpip
Date:          11/24/2014 2:02:36 PM
Event ID:      4266
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      sfngis.SFNA.local
Description:
A request to allocate an ephemeral port number from the global UDP port space has failed due to all such ports being in use.

2.) Ran "netstat -anob" and output results to netstat_anob_results.txt (1,584 KB) which showed AvastSvc.exe using a lot of UDP ports.

3.) Got PID (1412) of AvastSvc.exe using "tasklist /SVC | find -i "avast"

4.) Generated dump file from task manager of AvastSvc.exe into AvastSvc.DMP (343,923 KB)

5.) Tried to kill AvastSvc.exe with "TASKKILL /PID 1412 /F" but failed, so killed in Task Manager instead. This restored internet access!

6.) Checked ports again with "netstat -anob" and output results to netstat_anob_results_taskkill.txt (9 KB) and the file was much more reasonable.

I've tried calling Avast 1-866 number for support but they just offered me an annual subscription to their PC maintenance program and the opportunity to talk with an "engineer".

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Losing internet access after Avast eats up all UDP ports
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:30:34 PM »
attach Farbar Recovery Scan Tool diagnostic logs   https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

REDACTED

Re: Losing internet access after Avast eats up all UDP ports
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »
It looks like I may of fixed it by simply re-installing Avast.

Booted into safe mode and used their uninstall utility to remove Avast.

Then booted normally into Windows and re-installed.

No issues thus far and everything is back to normal.

Thanks =)