Author Topic: Avast Not Allowing Programs to Uninstall  (Read 2675 times)

REDACTED

Avast Not Allowing Programs to Uninstall
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »
I've been having a problem ever since my Avast upgrade to 2015. Before that - no problems at all.

The update happened, and suddenly every single time I try to uninstall a program, it goes through the little sandbox thing where you can run the program, but it doesn't do anything, Avast 'deepscans' it two or three times, then tells you it didn't find anything, and the program will relaunch. Only. . .it doesn't.

After trying to relaunch the uninstall.exe again, and nothing happening, I opened up task manager and found FOUR uninstall.exe processes running. I managed to kill 2 of them - but two will not die. (I even tried a few 'process killing' programs I found recommended on Microsoft. None of them worked. Uninstall.exe just will NOT die.) Until I reboot, of course. I tried with several different programs (games, mostly. I like to play small games, that get done fast, so I uninstall a fair number of them.) and had the same problem.  Disabling Avast, after a reboot, allowed me to uninstall all the programs just fine. Very normally.

I also was having trouble with Avast blocking a website I use quite often, so I decided to go for the clean-reinstall. Uninstalled Avast, use the cleaner-program I found by reading through threads here. Then reinstalled Avast from a fresh download.

On the good side. The website now works properly (with https scanning off. . .). On the bad side. . .the uninstall issues are STILL there. I currently have 2 processes stuck in my task manager because I don't feel like rebooting yet again.

I know the work-around is to disable Avast each time I need to uninstall. . .but I'd rather it just work properly!

Any other suggestions, apart from a second clean-reinstall?

Windows 7 64
Avast 2015 Free
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 11:01:12 PM by Elentarien »

REDACTED

Re: Avast Not Allowing Programs to Uninstall
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:25:23 AM »
No one has any ideas on this?

I'm now finding its *not* allowing the site it was blocking before the clean-reinstall, either. So. . .yeah, this is really annoying.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:23:03 AM »
Not all users of Avast (excluding Avast team) won't be able to solve other user's issues with their Avast programs and etc issues related to it.

Since you have done a 2nd clean install and you still face issues and no one here seems to find the correct solution for you and you are still waiting! If I were you I will go to Avast Support and submit a ticket to them explaining the issues that you are facing! They are most likely to help you. Simply waiting for an answer to your issues it won't get you anywhere.

Have a nice day!  :)
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
Are the things you are trying to remove large or do they contain large files?
And please follow the instructions for Farbar as explained here:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Let's see if we can find anything unusual.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
Hi, Eddy,

The program files I uninstall fairly often *can* be kinda large. . .(the games themselves are usually around 800mb in size. . .give or take) but the individual files don't tend to be that large. Uninstalling only takes a matter of seconds. Avast 2014 didn't have a problem with them, so this is quite new. (And yeah, I do uninstall other programs too, but its the games that are going on often, then coming off again as I finish them.)

Logs to the Farbar program are attached. Thanks for taking a look.
I'm fairly baffled. I've googled everything I can think of googling and tried everything I could think of trying - apart from falling back to Avast 2014. :P (Which I suppose I could do, but I prefer to keep things as current as possible.)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
Could you try the following :

Open Avast and select Settings > General
Remove the tick from Deepscreen
Place a tick in Hardened mode > Aggressive