Author Topic: Laptop Question  (Read 4320 times)

dondasch

Laptop Question
« on: September 05, 2005, 05:28:50 AM »
Hi all

I know this is probably not the usual question, but nonetheless I need some help.

I have a laptop which runs MS XP Home, and unfortunately I have lost/cannot remember what the user ID and password is.  I have tried all combinations I can think of, but nothing is working.

Can someone advise on what I can do?  Is it possible to reset it in some manner?

Thanks in advance.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Laptop Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 06:32:36 AM »
First you can log in under ADMINISTRATOR (superuser) account and from there you can change passwords for any account defined on that computer. Of course to be able to do that, you have to know what's your administrator password, but I assume you have no clue for that one either...

The best option then is to reset your account password. You can do this using either 1 of the 2 methods suggested by Microsoft Knowledge Base article #321305.
IMHO, the second method described on this page is most likely the easiest way for you:

1.) Reboot Windows in Safe Mode (I'm assuming you know how to do that, so I won't explain it all over again).

2.) Click on START button, and then click RUN.

3.) Inside the OPEN box, type the following command, and then click OK:

control userpasswords2

(type it exactly as you see it, with space in between those two words - control and userpasswords2 )

4.) Click the user account that you forgot the password for, and then click Reset Password.

5.) Type a new password in both the New password and the Confirm new password boxes, and then click OK.

DO NOT TOUCH other options...

Good luck !  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

dondasch

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 02:34:02 PM »
This appears to have worked when I tried it this morning.  Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate it.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 03:43:55 PM »
You're more than welcome !  ;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s