Author Topic: Avast is tremendously slowing Visual Studio projects  (Read 2469 times)

REDACTED

Avast is tremendously slowing Visual Studio projects
« on: December 05, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »
I am developing a GUI Windows application using Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate.
I have Avast installed on my computer (8 Go RAM, Core i5).

I have a blank application with only 2 panels on my window. When I launch the project within Visual Studio it launches instantly.
However, when I launch my compiled EXE file from the "/bin/release" folder, it takes at least 20 seconds to show the window (I repeat that the project is empty).

I have disabled Avast and when I launch the file again, it shows up instantly. Therefore, at the moment I needed to add an exception in Avast so that it doesn't scan my projects folder.

This is really not professional at all, and I can't tell my users to add an exception for my program in their Avast antivirus. Or maybe should I advise them not to use Avast on their computer  ??? ?

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast is tremendously slowing Visual Studio projects
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »
Hello,
is you app digitally signed? Is there shown some sandbox/deepscreen window? Or there is nothing shown and just it takes 20 seconds to launch? Is there some HDD activity?

If the file is newly compiled I guess it is unique so Avast asks FileRep about reputation and suggest sanboxing.

Milos

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
Thank you for your reply.

When I launch the executable, only the "searching"/"waiting" cursor of windows is displayed. Then after about 20 seconds my application shows up. The EXE file is only 16 Ko !!

The interesting thing is that, when I launch it within the Visual Studio environment, this does not happen and it launches instantly.

Indeed, since it is a simple blank program, my application is not signed. Do you think this could avoid Avast to act like this ?
However, it happends everytime I launch the application, even if i start it 10 times in a row, Avast will still analyze it every time ...

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »
Can you please upload the file to our ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/ and post the uploaded filename? We will check it.
What version of Avast do you use (Free/Pro/IS,...)? What components have you installed (which shields, NG, Browser cleanup, firewall, ...)? What OS?

Thanks,
Milos

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »
Sorry for my late response I was at work so I couldn't upload the file.

I am running windows 8.1 (64 bits) and I use the Free version of Avast (with all components that it includes which are running).
When I launch the program outside of my folder (which is excluded by Avast scans), the window launches in the background and then after 20 seconds it closes to show up a new window which appears in the front as expected initially.

I created two different blank programs and it is doing the same behavior. I uploaded two files:
Test.exe (sorry but I may have spamed you with this file as I didn't know I haven't got the right to read my uploaded content)
MFCApplication1.exe

Thank you for your analysis on this. Nice support by the way.