Author Topic: Avast free rebooting my router  (Read 9684 times)

REDACTED

Avast free rebooting my router
« on: November 26, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
I'm having a big problem with the new version of Avast free. Since I installed it, my router resets every 8 minutes when I am browsing the internet. That is, it makes my router reboot completely. Also if I use the Home network security scan, it gets to about 60-70% then the router reboots. The only fix I have found is to completely remove the new version. Has anyone got any ideas how to get around this, I am using a 2 year old Sagemcom Sky broadband router. I'm wondering if it's a problem specific to this router? Sky are sending me a brand new router anyway, just in case.

REDACTED

Re: Avast free rebooting my router
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
I can totally recreate this problem.
I can manually run a Home Network Security scan and the router goes off line at around 48%
It reconnects approx 2 minute after this point.

I have been getting 2 or 3 router ADSL disconnections of approx 2 mins duration per day
and have been tracking them using RouterStats-Lites(v9.9) My initial thought was to blame Sky but you have
changed that theory as I can now recreate it on demand with AVAST Home Network Security Scan

This problem started sometime around 20th Nov

ADSL System Details  SKY(UK) BROADBAND ADSL
Router Manufacturer Sagemcom
Model Number F@ST2504n
Firmware Version 7.16a4N_UNI
ADSL Firmware Version A2pD038m.d24h

Just checked back through my router stats screen grabs and this router firmware
has been used since 14/04/2014 so that sort of rules the router out.

What has changed is the AVAST FREE Home Network Security since around mid November ?
How often does Home Network Scan run itself a day ?
Should it run itself  ?

I will try turning Home Network Security off in Tools section on each network pc
Going to Settings / Tools  and selecting Home Network Security to OFF  (and a reboot for it to take effect)

Will this stop it scanning ?

AVAST FREE
Program Version  2015.10.0.2208
Virus definitions version  141213-0
Upadate says all up to date.

I have updated AVST FREE program on each pc, turned Home Network Security  off in Settings Tool on each pc and rebooted.
Various pc's running win 7 & 8.1

I will monitor for a few days and report back.

DAve

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
There is a known problem with the latest router update from Sky and avast.
Install the original software from the router manufacturer and the problem is solved.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:13:54 PM »
Ooh is this “known problem” documented anywhere ?
Can I let SKY know what AVST thinks is the cause ?

The SKY firmware was last updated in April 14
The problem only occurred in November 14 when AVAST Home Network Security was introduced.

Sky automatically install / update the software /firmware in their router, rolling back isn’t an option.

Please advise more info on this “known problem” so I can inform SKY with accurate information from AVAST.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »
Install the routers manufacturer firmware.
Problem solved.

avast is installed, everything is working fine.
Sky changes the routers firmware and problems are starting.
Guess where the problem is....

And no, the latest firmware update/change from Sky wasn't in april, but in november (as far as I know now).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:04:00 PM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:51:17 PM »
The SKY router is built for SKY by sagemcon.

Once again the routers firmware was last changed in APRIL I have screengrabs with metadata.
No firmware changes since APRIL.

However AVAST intoduced Home Network Security mid NOV and thats when the problems started.

Turning Home Network Security off ( and a reboot)  has cured the problem.

Please help us by letting us know what the "known problem" is so I can inform SKY, ( or perhaps AVAST would like to look into it a bit more rather than passing the buck)

Applying your logic above
AVAST and SKY work fine for many years No SKY firmware change since April 14
AVAST intoduced Home Network Security in November 14 and problems are starting.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »
I have exactly the same problem as you. Uninstalling Avast and using a different AV solved the problem.
It is NOT a problem with the sky router or firmware as this Eddy keeps trying to claim.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 09:50:20 PM »
If you don't want to have Avast Home Network Security just go to add/remove right click avast and click change and untick home network security to uninstall it and follow the instructions, once it has been uninstalled restart your computer manually! ISP in some countries like the country that I live in (New Zealand) they set their router to automatically install updates without no interactions from their customers (i.e. customers don't need to install updates and patches released by them. They will do everything for you). Like my ISP and my years ago I have been using a very old modem and after many years they sent me a brand new modem free of charge till now I have been using that modem and avast home network security just works fine. My ISP now they have another brand new modem which can be purchased. I contacted them about the modem that I have and they said it is still supported and maintained by them (they will install updates and patches for you, I don't have to install updates and patches) and they will provide free online and helpdesk support. Only thing that they have done is to stop selling the type of modem that I have including many other old ones.

If I was with third party then yes I will have to manually install updates and patches. The ISP I am with they are not third party.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:30:11 PM by Staticguy »
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:10:30 AM »
avast is installed, everything is working fine.
Sky changes the routers firmware and problems are starting.
What part is it that you people don't understand?
Once again the routers firmware was last changed in APRIL
And why does Sky mention on their website the latest update was in November?

The tree can't help it if you drive into it.

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 02:28:17 AM »
wow I have said over  again router firmware was updated April 14...in fact it was January 12 2014

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 02:32:43 AM »
Sure, keep ignorant.
http://www.ph-mb.com/products/expvr/downloads
ExPVR V3.9.10 14/12/2014
That is 2 days ago!

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 03:32:47 AM »
So your saying everyone on SKY broadband with a Sagemcom F@ST 2504N need to install custom firmware and break  Sky terms and conditions ?  wow that's a hell of a lot of people. Not sure many of them would even know how to start installing custom firmware.
Who they gonna call when they get a problem, SKY will turn round and say you've installed non approved firmware, so it's not our problem.
pH-Mb is not affiliated with BSkyB it is custom firmware,  not SKY issued. & not SKY supported.

AVAST2015 Home Network Security introduced Nov 2014 causes the problem.
I have turned it off and had zero disconnections in 39 hours.

I was hoping for some help here but you seem intent on blaming SKY
I would have tried any suggestions to try to eliminate the problem so we could have narrowed down as where the problem is happening but alas you do not want to help, just blame.

For those on SKY with a F@ST2504n  SKY issued and maintained router ( ADSL and FIBRE),  following this thread,
Going to AVAST Settings / Tools  and selecting Home Network Security to OFF  (and a reboot for it to take effect)
Cures the 2/3 times a day disconnection problem.

What a shame "a support forum" that doesn't.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 12:32:28 PM »
I've followed this conversation with some interest. I think sometimes conditions in different locations aren't understood. Perhaps Eddy isn't aware of the generally firmware-crippled routers supplied by UK ISPs? I'm fortunate, my UK ISP supplies an off-the-shelf retail router and I'm quite free to apply firmware updates from the manufacturer's website, but that's rare! I know quite well that the same freedom isn't afforded to Sky Broadband users of Sky-provided routers.

I've had no problem with Avast's Home Network Security Scan myself, but I feel for you. Hope you get it sorted out eventually :)

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »
nice help there Eddy lmao

i have a Belkin F7d2301 router and tryed Avast free a few months ago and it killed
my router i had to reinstall my firmware to get it working again

it's a old router and no newer firmware so what should i do to run Avast buy a new router?

it's not worth that

why use a AV that you have to turn stuff off to get it to work right on your pc

whats wrong with this picture

:)

James