Author Topic: Web Shield 2015 is blocking access because "... certificate is invalid:bing.com"  (Read 31756 times)

REDACTED

This issue only began after upgrading Free Antivirus to 2015.10.0.2208.
Because of it, I must stop the Web Shield "until the restart of the computer".
Sample domains blocked due to this issue...  *.google.com, *.bing.com, *.avast.com, and login.yahoo.com.

It perplexes me that more people aren't reporting this, so I have to assume the issue is unique to my specific Windows7 PC.
Any guidance?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
1. Download Avast Free Antivirus: http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed Avast versions..!!)
3. Reinstall Avast with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

Hi stevelundberg -

I just visited Bing, both versions, using K-Meleon74.24 and Avast! 10.0.2206, and checking the certificate we see:
Code: [Select]
Not Critical
TLS Web Client Authentication (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2)
TLS Web Server Authentication (1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1)

We note it's a Microsoft certificate from Baltimore Cyber Trust
Code: [Select]
CN = Baltimore CyberTrust Root
OU = CyberTrust
O = Baltimore
C = IE

Are you using IE?

Gordon.

REDACTED

I am having the same issue and have tried the removal & re-install as provided by Asyn but I still have the same problem.

Any further advice would be most welcome.

I am using IE 10 and have Avast Free Antivirus 2015.10.0.2208 installed.

My current solution is to uncheck the Scan HTTPS box in the Web Shield settings, it works fine but is this a good idea? :-\

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Hi guys,
it seems we for some reason fail to insert our trusted certificate root on your PC. I've already posted guidelines how to check it and reinsert manually. Please use search.

Could you, please, also send us screenshots of the certificate?

Click the paddle lock icon, choose view certificates, select Certification Path and post a screenshots of the path, one with the leaf (bing.com certificate) and one withthe root (Avast Web/Mail Shield root certificate) selected.

Thanks.
Lukas.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
When the screenshots looks like this, see attach, you can see that both the BING cert and avast root are considered trusted (OK). This is how it is supposed to look.

REDACTED

Following the link posted by Eddy I noticed a comment by Lord_Ami about having Zemana Antilogger Free installed.

I have this installed and so followed the advice given in the link and disabled the SSL scanning in Zemana and re-enabled it in Avast Web Shield.

The issue is cleared which means that the certificates are all OK but being blocked by Zemana because Zemana's SSL protection  does not trust avast! certificates.

As Lord_Ami says "I've reported it to Zemana and they are adding "compatibility" warning in next version as far as I understood.
It would be better if Avast staff contacts them about this issue."

So let us hope that someone does!

I am happy because I now know what is causing the issue even if it has not been fully resolved.

REDACTED

I've got this too, how can a company like Avast send out such a shoddy "up grade" I can't access my bank web site because it's certificate is not trusted. along with dozens of others, This is on Black Friday, just thing how many millions in on line transactions have been lost. Not to mention this action is exactly like the sysWOW64 virus infection and had me downloading malwarebytes, and deleting stuff that I didn't need to, and wasted a whole day trying to sort it.

Come on Avast didn't you do ANY beta testing? Very bad show. >:(

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Come on Avast didn't you do ANY beta testing? Very bad show.
Rich, come on. READ the posts. They clearly say that in this case it is not avast fault but Zemana Antilogger.
Not to mention this action is exactly like the sysWOW64 virus infection and had me downloading malwarebytes, and deleting stuff that I didn't need to, and wasted a whole day trying to sort it.
That means you did not have your security setup properly. Only one to blame for that is yourself.

REDACTED

!). I've never heard of Zemana antilogger, and why should I it's not installed on my machine! And when a problem suddenly arises how am I to know where it comes from, this IS avast's fault as it's software can't cope with it.
2). It's Avast that has failed to set up itself properly, don't try to blame me for Avasts failure.
3). I checked the certificate and it was located as it should be, I had to delete it and reinstall it using the procedure posted before it would work properly, ego the problem is with the Avast certificate.

So in short NOT my fault that Avast 2015 didn't install the certificate properly, Avast's fault for distributing software that doesn't work.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 10:04:17 AM by rich15 »